Fiberglass How To's

Hi there I have some last minute questions before I start to make my fiberglass sub box. Ok I was wandering say afer I have one layer of fiberglass on does the next layer or layers have to be layed right afterwards or say I am gone for a weekend and I only have 1 layer on and I want to do lots more can't it wait those 3 days till I get back to put another layer of fiberglass on it?? I hope this makes sense thanx for your time

Copied from my other thread per Tommyboy

OK, so you wanna build some pods? Here's a couple thing you may want to consider...

Cardboard template: MAKES LIFE 50X EASIER... Make a duplicate of your baffle and mount it to your rear mold IN CAR, this will help you so much with aiming. Cardboard is probably 15 times easier to mount and aim than a full MDF baffle.

If it's late out that's no excuse not to work, you don't need saws to cut your dowels, just use something else.... I like to use my 'wire cutters'.

After you mount your cardboard baffle, bring it inside and measure for your dowels. Just find the total length at a given point and then subtract 3/4" to make up for the thickness of your real baffle.

When you're gluing in your dowels you can make thing a TON easier if you're using hot glue. Rather than sitting there for 5 minutes holding each rod waiting for the glue to dry, invest in a can of compressed air. Glue the dowel, flip the can over and spray that liquid all over the glue, that'll cool it down in seconds.

OVER BRACE YOUR BAFFLES: There is NOTHING worse than having your baffle collapse while you're in the middle of stretching your fabric, or even worse... while your resin is curing.

I hope this helps a few people.

fiberglass resin + open cut/wound = pain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Found a good way to get resin off your hands : Little bit of Comet and little bit of Soft Gel. It burns a tad but it worked for me. Some is left on me but nothing compared to what it started as.

These are THE BEST for cleanup of resin on hands in arm hair, off carpet, off clothes.....I think they are commonly called scrubs in a bucket....they are a citrus based cleanup wipe that are kinda pinkish purple....they generally clean your hands without water very well too. You know the goo that you get from old electrical tape when you just got done pulling out an old alarm from somones car....they work for that too! Clean tools, anything that gets resin on it for sure.

Ive used a different branded product Presented by Pilkington, a glass company...apparently the scrubs in a bucket are blue, but have very similar properties to the Pilkington version I have used first hand. Trust me, its worth the $10-15 for the first time you can actually clean off your arm after it starts burning!

yeah i too found that fiberglass resin rapes plastic cups... got resin all over the driveway... okay not that much, but my dad was pretty mad.

Has anyone tried to make rear baffles for door speakers in a 240sx? or anything is a 240sx with fiberglass?

I wanted to do some stuff with my door speakers, and when i made the original, and went to fasten it (with resin and fiberglass) it wouldnt fit in the door anymore, so i took a die grinder and tried to take off any excess causing it not to fit, but it *****... im gonna take a different approach to the situation... any suggestions?

Just loked through most of the tutorials, gonna start on my first set of pods soon //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Looks like an interesting process.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.