Fiberglass enclosure vs door install

Participant count
  • Participant list

PepsiFiend69
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have an 08 f150 and am trying to weigh my options on front door speakers. It has an odd design where the speaker bolts through the front door panel leaving a big open space around the speaker. I'm looking for good midbass output. I could either fiberglass a small inclosure and integrate it into the door panel, or use the standard location and spend the extra money on sound deadening the whole door. I'm doing a budget setup and will be using probably NVX 6.5" coaxials amplified. What would be my best bet for what I'm looking for?

I have an 08 f150 and am trying to weigh my options on front door speakers. It has an odd design where the speaker bolts through the front door panel leaving a big open space around the speaker. I'm looking for good midbass output. I could either fiberglass a small inclosure and integrate it into the door panel, or use the standard location and spend the extra money on sound deadening the whole door. I'm doing a budget setup and will be using probably NVX 6.5" coaxials amplified. What would be my best bet for what I'm looking for?
A "small" enclosure is the last thing you want for almost all 6.5" speakers when you need midbass. Playing into the cavity of the door is the expected installation. The door needs to be changed to a more appropriate enclosure. It will never be sealed, but there are several treatments available that make a massive improvement.

For inspiration: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/627952-2002-toyota-camry-khas-wife-gets-system.html

A "small" enclosure is the last thing you want for almost all 6.5" speakers when you need midbass. Playing into the cavity of the door is the expected installation. The door needs to be changed to a more appropriate enclosure. It will never be sealed, but there are several treatments available that make a massive improvement.
For inspiration: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/627952-2002-toyota-camry-khas-wife-gets-system.html
Thanks! I'll take a look through.. I've been out of the audio game for 8-9 years. Looking to get back into it since my commute just tripled and I spend way more time on the road. A little rusty on my knowledge on everything so trying to brush up and re-learn some thing and play around with some ideas.

My goal is to get a nice sounding budget front stage and maybe add a small sub later on. Earlier in my life I was much more into getting loud, my goal with this is budget and good sound. And I know install is everything, so pardon my probably stupid sounding questions.

That is an awesome thread. Lots of ideas I will be stealing for the refresh of my own install. Love the crossovers under the seats. Using a single piece of wrapped plywood for the amp mounting looks like a way better idea than what I had planned...which was two pieces of cut, carpet wrapped MDF.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.