fiberglass box question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Doberdad
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
gb wi
i just have to put the fleece on my box tommorow. do i just resin the fleece and put the mat inside? i figure it will b easier to sand that than the mat on the outside, but wont i sand right thru that. this is my first box, so i just need to know if i should put the mat on the inside or outside

that is what i thought, will i need as many layers on the inside as i did the base of the box(7layers)

put the mat on the outside. idealy it would be better to put it on the inside. but trust me, it isnt worth the hassle. trieng to get an even layer of mat on the inside of a box is incredibly hard and time consuming, your resin will dry before you finish one layer. yes it will make sanding easier. but if youve ever sanding a fiberG box before an extra few hours is nothing when compared to the weeks you will spend on it. yes i said weeks. im sure you have read that sanding is a ***** and its very time consuming but words dont do the process justice. im a perfectionist so maybe its easier for other people but when i like to see my box shine and be flawless when its all painted up.especially when people are spending the loot to get it professionally painted. the project car im working on right now will be painted to match the car then airbushed to look like a bionic machine. the sanding is the most important part of the project. lay the mat on the outside of the fleece. after you build up the mat to the thinkness you want throw down one or two layers of woven mat. that will help you get it smoother. then start using bondo and sanding. then repeat. after you get it nice, use a lightweight body filler and throw some paint thinner in themix to make it lighter. spread that around and sand it and you should be mint.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.