Fiberglass box for SPL??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fuknmovin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
What are the disadvantages of fiberglass boxes in SPL type builds? The reason I ask is I am just getting sick of the HUGE box in the back of my truck looking ugly and all, and I am thinking of doing a really cool looking fiberglass box in the back and using Aero ports for ports, as I have 4 4"ers ready to go. I may also go to two 15's as with the fiberglass I can get into all the little areas that give up air space and fit a much larger volume box in there using up less space. Let me know what you guys think as I value your opinions...you all do this more than I do...THANKS! I am looking to increase my SPL over the existing box and hope this will work.

no diff at all in perfomance if done right its as good as mdf just use as much mdf as you can do all the strit sections if you bottom of the box area is flat i a few spots then dont use all fiberglass fill the flat spots with mdf not casue its better but fiberglass is $$ so the more places you can get away by using wood the better really

no diff at all in perfomance if done right its as good as mdf just use as much mdf as you can do all the strit sections if you bottom of the box area is flat i a few spots then dont use all fiberglass fill the flat spots with mdf not casue its better but fiberglass is $$ so the more places you can get away by using wood the better really
Exactly. Use MDF where possible (on flat spots), and then just build up a lot of fiberglass; you'll probably want it to be around 1/4" thick. Once it stops having a boomy sound to it and doesn't really resonate, it's good.

i used the bounce test. i get a friend who is around 200lbs and have him bounce on the fg part of the enclosure. if it flexes it is not strong enough.

i used the bounce test. i get a friend who is around 200lbs and have him bounce on the fg part of the enclosure. if it flexes it is not strong enough.
That's a good test //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.