fi ssd 12

Participant count
  • Participant list
Tune it lower //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'm rolling with a 27hz tune atm

When I had a sealed box, it felt "cleaner" than this ported box.

The bass isnt bad, I can still hear the different frequencies but some of the higher bass notes aren't as loud. The lows are rlly good though.

do you think this is my particular box/car or is this the difference between ported and sealed?

Your problem is the fact that you have almost 6 db difference between reference levels and your tuning frequency. Add the cabin gain into that, and its no wonder you aren't happy with the frequency response. You should build a box to bring your peak down to around 2 db boost, possibly tune it a bit lower, and then make sure you have plenty of port area. You should have 12-16 inches for every cubic foot of internal airspace in the box. then I can guarantee you will be much happier with the SQ of the sub. I'm not sure what size of box you are running, but I would try modeling up a box that is about 3 cubes tuned to 26 hertz, with my WINISD driver parameters, I am seeing an almost flat response with about 2 db's of boost from 26-40 hertz.. The cabin gain will boost it a bit more as well.

Your problem is the fact that you have almost 6 db difference between reference level and tuning frequency. You need to build a bit smaller box to bring that peak down to around 2-3 db boost, and then make sure you have plenty of port area. You should have 12-16 inches for every cubic foot of internal airspace in the box. then I can guarantee you will be much happier with the SQ of the sub.
We don't know any specs about his box besides that it's tuned to 33hz, so it's kinda hard to make suggestions as far as what box size to use and if he's using enough port area. The size of the peak depends on the sub/box combo, and how it reacts with the cabin of the vehicle. Also, the peak won't be at the tuning frequency, but a few hz above it, and gradually taper off in each direction(then quickly falling off below tuning frequency). I had three 18's tuned to 32hz and still peaked at 57hz on the meter because that's where my truck peaks at.

I think he's just used to a sealed box and how the upper frequencies are more dominant than in a relatively low tuned ported box where the lower notes are generally more present than in a sealed box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.