Fi q 12in ported or 15in sealed

A ported box will not have as smooth of a frequency response as a sealed box. You might be able to get a little louder off the ported 12", but the sealed 15" should sound better. By better, I mean cleaner, not louder. Realistically, because the cone is larger, I really doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a sealed 15" vs. a ported 12", except the 12" will be "boomy" at certain frequencies, depending on how the box is tuned. I went to a sealed box in my Caprice, lost very little output, gained a ton of lows, and gained a bunch of quality. The little bit of output that was lost was definitely worth it for everything I gained (including getting my trunk space back). Next spring/summer, I plan on going sealed in the Jeep with the 15" I have in there as well, all for quality.

A ported box will not have as smooth of a frequency response as a sealed box. You might be able to get a little louder off the ported 12", but the sealed 15" should sound better. By better, I mean cleaner, not louder. Realistically, because the cone is larger, I really doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between a sealed 15" vs. a ported 12", except the 12" will be "boomy" at certain frequencies, depending on how the box is tuned. I went to a sealed box in my Caprice, lost very little output, gained a ton of lows, and gained a bunch of quality. The little bit of output that was lost was definitely worth it for everything I gained (including getting my trunk space back). Next spring/summer, I plan on going sealed in the Jeep with the 15" I have in there as well, all for quality.
The sub, the enclosure volume and the tuning are going to dictate how the sub sounds in each enclosure type. Taking the right sub and putting it in the right box, it shouldn't be boomy at all. My XXX12 was tight as hell ported. My Assassins were as well. The reason that most systems with ported boxes osund bad is that they are tuned for output, not smooth response. That's an install problem not a problem inherent to ported setups.

if a ported box is built and tuned properly it can have a flatter response than a sealed enclosure. Why do you think most highend home speakers are ported?

louder where? the higher frequencies? cause sealed boxes play lower. I run two 15 si mags in a ported box tuned to 30hz and i used to have the same 15's sealed and the sealed box played lower than my ported box. So i really doubt the 12 ported can talk to the 15 sealed in lower frequencies
music doesnt really go below 30hz very much. yes some do but most dont.

if u tune a ported box to 30-32hz it will play those notes louder than a sealed box.

yes sealed can technically play lower as it is more controlled and will not bottom out as fast as a ported box but like i said, u dont have 15hz in music. songs created do, like bass i love you, but turn on your favorite music, its never gonna go that low.

i have had two different 15" subs, sealed first, then ported directly after, and the ported was much much louder on lower frequencies.

you can also look at it with winisd, it shows exactly what i experienced with both the subs.

i have two polk audio 10s sealed, building a ported box tomorrow. ill bet money it will be louder on the lower frequencies.

as it stands, the 10s sealed dont really dig that low which is the whole reasoning for going ported. and they are overpowered and everything and cant play lows loud enough.

you can tell me im wrong all day long, but ive experienced it and i know which plays lower, at least for my setups

i used to be all about sealed boxes.....until I heard a properly built ported box. I am now a ported box guy unless space dictates sealed...my treo 15 ported at 30hz was some of the best sounding low end I have ever heard

What was the specs of your ported setup and what are the specs of the sealed setup? are you using the same amp, same car? just a n enclosure differance? what exactly do you miss from your ported setup? pro's and Con's of each enclosure would be gereat =) thanks!

Just to throw this in here, My 18" Q was ported in my suv, now sealed in my truck, and I miss the the old ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I've been doing a bit of research regarding the 12in fi q ported with a 2.5 cft and some seem to say that going with 2.2cft is a bit better sq, is this true or what's the deal about this regarding drawbacks using a 2.5cft oppose to 2.0cft thanks

I was having some second thoughts... i was thinking of going with the 12in fi bl and throw it in a 2.5cft @ 32hz that sub seems to be musical and loud....my only y concern is how would it do on the 2.5cft enclosure and does a square enclosure make a differance oppose to a rectangular enclosure? i don't think it does but i'm not an exp. car audio gurro

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.