Feel the speaker under 100$ (shopping advice)

Golitan11

Canada
- Car: Toyota Matrix XR 2004

- Speakers: stock 6.5"

- Headunit: Pioneer DEH-X7500S

- Subwoofer: Sundown SA-12

- Amplifier: Hifonics BRX1100.1D

- Other: I don't have an amplifier for my speakers and I will not get one.

I want a set of speakers (or components if it is really worth it over regular) that I will feel without amp. You know that feeling when you feel the speakers and it gives you goosebumps? Something that will just be right with my subwoofer too. If possible under 100$ a pair. Don't need to be exact models, at least the best brands for my needs. Thanks.

You need an amp, period. Components will sound better (generally) and @ 100 bucks you might want to piece it together yourself.

If you're worried about an amp showing, get a small one that fits behind the stereo, or under the seats.

@cfox10

I don't want to buy an amplifier because I am already really borderline on my voltage with my subwoofer amplifier (I only did Big 3) and from what I have heard (amplified speakers), I think it is not really worth it for the price that you pay (only makes your speakers louder with only A BIT more SQ). The problem with car audio is you get addicted to quality and after, you are not able to recommend something under your experiences (nothing will come to your mind), even if it is good. For example, now that I have a Sundown subwoofer, I am not able to say to anybody that a Alpine Type-R subwoofer is good, because I have better and I would recommend my Sundown over it anyday (I would even insist). But in reality, the Type-R will play bass pretty decently and it is not bad, even for the same price! This is sad but true, I am myself like that now. But the difference is I am aware of it. I am telling you this because you seem to do the same thing in a lot of posts, which is telling what to do just like there is no other way out, while there is. For example, the kind of reply I would get for the amplifier and voltage issue is it is time to upgrade your electrical system (batteries, alternators, etc.), just like if running speakers without an amplifier is even not a suitable option and just for the need of an amplifier that will makes only a small difference, which is completely unnecessary! So sorry cfox10, running speakers with an amplifier is not the only way to go, it is just a better choice.

P.S. Sorry for my bad attitude and don't take it personal, this is just my point of view.

@Everyone

Now, since amplifiers are better, I will make a choice to keep my budget and make cfox10 happy: buy an amplifier (if you guys think I can handle it with my actual electrical setup) with only a pair of speakers or components (for the front doors) or buy two pairs of speakers or components (for the front and rear doors) without amplifier. Everything under 200$ (I said 100$ / pair).

If possible, just post your speaker/component/amplifier suggestions with your vote. By the way, I am more looking for a soft and warm sound (like Krakin said), more than a crisp sound (gets annoying IMO).

@cfox10
I don't want to buy an amplifier because I am already really borderline on my voltage with my subwoofer amplifier (I only did Big 3) and from what I have heard (amplified speakers), I think it is not really worth it for the price that you pay (only makes your speakers louder with only A BIT more SQ). The problem with car audio is you get addicted to quality and after, you are not able to recommend something under your experiences (nothing will come to your mind), even if it is good. For example, now that I have a Sundown subwoofer, I am not able to say to anybody that a Alpine Type-R subwoofer is good, because I have better and I would recommend my Sundown over it anyday (I would even insist). But in reality, the Type-R will play bass pretty decently and it is not bad, even for the same price! This is sad but true, I am myself like that now. But the difference is I am aware of it. I am telling you this because you seem to do the same thing in a lot of posts, which is telling what to do just like there is no other way out, while there is. For example, the kind of reply I would get for the amplifier and voltage issue is it is time to upgrade your electrical system (batteries, alternators, etc.), just like if running speakers without an amplifier is even not a suitable option and just for the need of an amplifier that will makes only a small difference, which is completely unnecessary! So sorry cfox10, running speakers with an amplifier is not the only way to go, it is just a better choice.

P.S. Sorry for my bad attitude and don't take it personal, this is just my point of view.

@Everyone

Now, since amplifiers are better, I will make a choice to keep my budget and make cfox10 happy: buy an amplifier (if you guys think I can handle it with my actual electrical setup) with only a pair of speakers or components (for the front doors) or buy two pairs of speakers or components (for the front and rear doors) without amplifier. Everything under 200$ (I said 100$ / pair).

If possible, just post your speaker/component/amplifier suggestions with your vote. By the way, I am more looking for a soft and warm sound (like Krakin said), more than a crisp sound (gets annoying IMO).
Sounds like you got it all figured out why even ask? Lol parts express gunna be the best option at that budget .. There is a million threads on this ... Throw some power on whatever you choose down the line if possible .. And the type r was a horrible analogy ... So many 100/150 dollar woofers that will out perform it its not even funny ... It's over priced for what you get and that's the truth ..

a bit more SQ? you serious? head unit power vs amplifier power = world of difference in SQ. Head unit power, you barely hear the midrange and theres barely any midbass and the highs are sloppy and inarticulate. An amplifier plays the role of improving sound quality as much as it does in getting loud. if your on borderline voltage then a cheap 60 dollar kinetic hc600 in the trunk would boost it up high enough that it'll handle your additional 2/4 channel amp draw.

Seriously though, you've completely underestimated the power of amplified speakers. I'm willing to be if you deaden your doors and amplify your stock speakers, they will amaze you.

Your running stock speakers right now off of maybe 10-15 watts of power. If you think your going to "feel" any speaker with only 10-15 watts of clean output, your crazy. Your running a sub off of 1000 watts of output in a car where it gets an extra 20-30db of gain. Your not going to keep up with that without adding an amp to aftermarkets, sorry to rain on your parade.

You went to the trouble of doing a sub, sub box, getting a large amp for the SA (600-800 watts would have been sufficient in most cases) and now when you need to add another 100-200 watts it's all too much? Really? Figure out your priorities. If all you do is blare rap all day and the speakers can be heard over your sub stick with it. If your looking for louder, more detailed sound and listen to things that actually have midrange and midbass, then your going to have to pony up for the extra cash and labor.

Anyway, I've always like ID speakers at almost all their price points. See if you can find some CTX speakers, even the coax's are good and might do what you want. They have great midbass if you do some door treatments and the tweets are laid back like you said you liked, cant' see the tweet being harsh in a door down lower especially.

I'd do one set of speakers. A single $200 set will sound better than 2 $100 sets. It will also get just about as loud. I think you'll be happier that way. The ID's run around 120ish new, but perform great for that price bracket. Midbass wise they aren't much worse than the XS mids I used to run which is a $700 component set, just worse mids and highs, pure midbass was nearly identical! Regardless, That leaves you with another 80ish for an amp. If you can give them a real 100 watts/channel or thereabouts they should really impress you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.