Extremely high output 8" MIDBASS

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hydrazine

Hi guys,

I have an applications where I need an extremely high output 8" MIDBASS woofer for the frequency range of 100Hz to 250Hz in a 4th or 6th order bandpass enclosure. Cost is no object and sound quality is NOT a factor. Maximum SPL in the 100-250 Hz range is the only criteria.

So far I have been searching the net for 8" drivers with a Fs in the 70Hz-100Hz range with a high Bl, high power, high efficiency, low Mms, high excursion and high Xmax.

Then my search brought me to this forum where I found these crazy CA 8" drivers with insane power and excursion capabilities. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif The look perfect except that that they are designed to play deep bass down to the ~45Hz range so they aren't exactly dedicated midbass drivers. So who knows which may ultimately produce the best results?

In your experienced opinion(s) what would you recommend for maximum possible SPL in the 100-250Hz range?

I can put as much power on it as needed. 500W, 1000W or 4000W as long as it doesn't blow up or self destruct in the process. The best that can be done is the best that can be done.

PS - For some reason I can't post links to the example drivers in this opening post... I will try to post the links in my next post below.

What a bummer the forum wont let me post links at all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I have been looking at the VFL-8D and the SD-2 8 D2 and other 8" transducers.

I'll see if there is some other way to link you to the other examples I've found.

You need to be looking more at your pro audio choices here. The higher effeciency and extra motor force/weight ratio will keep the bandpass size smaller and help overall output levels. I'd go ahead and use a B&C driver. Their T/S are always pretty close to correct and that's important when doing a bandpass. You don't need extreme xmax here. I'd shoot for at least 3-4mm though and around 96db/1w/1m effeciency. The B&C 8NW51 8" Neodymium Woofer seems to be the ticket here. I can't imagine you'll run out of xmax in a good bandpass without at least 500 watts and by then you'd be approaching the absolute thermal limits of the driver and should be VERY loud as you could probably get mid 90's effeciency over the entire bandpass. The sundown looks pretty terrible for a bandpass. Q is way too high, it may work in a 4th, but I don't think that would be This is all just off the top without modelling, but should all be accurate. take it for what. it's worth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.