extra power to my sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

systemQ

Anybody out there who could make some suggestions would be great. My kenwood head unit only has two RCA outputs. I have all four of my new speakers hooked up to a 600W 4-channel kenwood amp, those speakers use up the two RCA outputs. Fortunately my 4-channel amp has an extra RCA output, and i have my other 600W 2- channel amp for my sub connected to it. I have one 12w3 JL sub hooked up to that. The one problem is that whenever i turn up the bass and volume for my sub, the bass is turned up in my speakers as well, and it sounds horrible becuz there is too much bass going to the 2-way speakers. Im trying to avoid buying a new head unit, and im wondering if there is any way that i can crank up the bass in my sub, but turn all the bass down in my speakers at the same time.

Do your amps have X-overs on them? If so I would set the 4 channel's so it sounds good at slightly louder then normay listening level. When you do this do it with the sub off. (Disconnect the RCA running to the sub amp.) Then do the opposite. Disconnect the 4 channel and set the X-over on the sub amp.

If your amps do not have X-overs on them, you can usually find one at a pretty good price. Make sure that it has settings for your highs, mids, and sub.

I used to run an electronic X-over I got from Radio Shack for $50. It worked rather well.

i dont have x-overs, so is there anything else i need to look for in an x-over other than settings for my highs, mids, and subs? do i need only one x-over, and where should i place it and what should i do once i get the x-over, im pretty new to all of this, and my friend and i put the system in ourselves, so im kinda trying to figure how to get this all sounding really good

thanx

You can get an active three-way cross over and run your head unit's RCA's to it. From that you can run RCA's for you highs, mids, and sub (seperately) to you amps. From there you can tune the freq. on the X-over to the corresponding speakers. Do one set at a time.

The X-over wil also need it's own pos.,neg.,and remote.

Most of today's amps have adjustable bass boost (+dB/-dB). If your kenwood amps have these you can set the bass on your Head Unit in the middle and then adjust bass to the way you like it at your amps. This is a temporary solution however. It may help until you can afford a cross over, but the cross over is still the best way to go.

Send frequencies above 80hz (for example) to your spkrs and all frequencies below 80hz to your subs. You can experiment with a higher or lower cross over point (100hz / 50hz) but 80hz generally works pretty well.

Take care and God bless you!

Bass blockers are gonna do part of what a crossover is going to do. They will go inline to your spkrs and prevent lower frequencies from reaching them. They are just another temporary fix. One they will **** more power away from your spkrs and two; to get a good set that will actually do the job, you might as wll save your money for the cross over.

The 4 channel amp must have a "hi-pass" setting (they all do). Set it for 70-80 Hz and it'll block the lows from your main speakers. Then set the sub amp for "lowpass", also at about 80 Hz. Problem solved.

I did what u said and at first it was sounding great, the now i have two problems, and ive had some suggestions but im not sure. first problem, for some reason my head unit just shuts off out of the blue, it turns off and so does my system, to get the head unit back on i have to take off the face and put it back on and there is power again. second, for some reason my sub doesnt always hit, i turned the lowpass filter on to get more bass from it and it doesnt hit sometimes, its kinda off and on, but then when i turn the lowpass filter off, it always hits at the same volume that it wouldnt before.

my friend said it could be my alternator, or my head unit, or the amp to my sub. I've been thinking about just making it easier and buying a new alpine head unit with 3 preouts and the built in crossover, etc., im sick off all the problems

It could be an assortment of problems. First the x over: what cut off point did you chose for your low pass? 80hz? If you set it lower then 80hz (like 50hz) you might want to set it up to 80hz. If it's already at 80hz, try bumping it up to 100hz (if your amp gives you that option) although few people set it this high becuz you will get some vocals thru your subs (won't hurt them, but it sounds different). Try each setting and see which one you like best and if it affects when your bass hits.

Also if you don't already have a cap for your amps I'd definately get one. Two amps that big will need at least a 1 farad cap (especially for the subs). That may help your power problem as well.

If you already have a cap then I'd be suspecting your electrical system. Either you need to upgrade your power and ground wires or you may need to upgrade you alt. However, the probelm with your H/U may be in the unit itself. Unfortunately you'll have to figure that out thru trial and error (unless some wiser and more astute patron of this Forum knows something I don't).

Having said all that, if you have the money to blow, by all means buy the Alpine! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by systemQ Thanx. what would u say the chances are that the alpine head unit, will solve most to possibly all of my probs?
No. Not if you have alternator or power wire problems. You should get the system checked out before spending a lot of cash.

Right, deffinately exaust your other options first. The Alpine is just if you want the added conveniance of 3 pre-outs (so you have a dedicated sub out and you can set all your crossover points at the H/U). It's features would add conveniance, but really nothing you can't duplicate with your current amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.