External Solid State Drives

I currently have a 32gig flash drive, that has more than enough music for me. Just purchased a 1TB flash drive for $10.99, and will try loading some music and books on it.
WHAT!!!! 1TB flash drive for $10.99 Is that a typo error sure was not $110.99 Far as i've seen i cant even get a decent 16G for $10.99. Or is it some no name brand ??. Good luck and let us know how it works

The issue is not wether your drive will read it or not.. The issue is the adapter you use as some require drivers others are plug and play.

The current external you have can be taken apart and replace the internal drive.

Sk hynix sells a 1tb ssd drive for 120$, should work well. But the type of partition should not matter as the fat32 4gb file limit should be more than enough for mp3s.

Consider upgrading to a bluetooth unit and uploading your mp3s to a cloud drive and streaming them as you go.

Beats youtube **** quality.
As for streaming your music from the cloud, No way for me. I can just see something going wrong and streaming stops or no signal or your music is taken away for some reason or blocked. I have a lot of music that i have spent many hours and years growing and remastering to high quality sound with WaveLabe software. And i don't to have to pay a monthly fee to store it on some cloud server. But for some it mite work for them. As for the adapter, i use USB and my HU is USB port so no adapter for Flash Drive or Portable hard drive. USB is quit common. Both FD & HD are plug and play. The issue i have seen with mine and some brands is the partition. looking at it on my computer software i see a small info partition before the main one and that first partition is what my and i guess other HU see and don't recognize and that is were you get the error code. On some HD you can not remove that small first partition, it happened to me. I have to find a HD that i can remove that first partition or make it into one large partition and reformat it to fat 32.

yes you are correct that a SSD drive is quicker load time. But i have to say my older HDD drive WD is not so bad in load times. few seconds that's all and i can or have been ok with that. But like i said i have not tries a SSD drive yet and was thinking of trying one.
its night and day difference. Its like riding on a turtle on land vs riding cheetah. Especially when you have 400 megabyte lossless files.

As for streaming your music from the cloud, No way for me. I can just see something going wrong and streaming stops or no signal or your music is taken away for some reason or blocked. I have a lot of music that i have spent many hours and years growing and remastering to high quality sound with WaveLabe software. And i don't to have to pay a monthly fee to store it on some cloud server. But for some it mite work for them. As for the adapter, i use USB and my HU is USB port so no adapter for Flash Drive or Portable hard drive. USB is quit common. Both FD & HD are plug and play. The issue i have seen with mine and some brands is the partition. looking at it on my computer software i see a small info partition before the main one and that first partition is what my and i guess other HU see and don't recognize and that is were you get the error code. On some HD you can not remove that small first partition, it happened to me. I have to find a HD that i can remove that first partition or make it into one large partition and reformat it to fat 32.
Partition magic or paragon partition manager can remove any partition

WHAT!!!! 1TB flash drive for $10.99 Is that a typo error sure was not $110.99 Far as i've seen i cant even get a decent 16G for $10.99. Or is it some no-name brand ??. Good luck and let us know how it works
I found the drive on eBay. As a matter of fact, it's a 2TB drive for $10.99 - No Name. Saw another one on there today for $9.69. Although I sometimes purchase brand name drives, I've also had good success with off-brand drives. If I'm using it for Music, there is little risk involved; as I have the music backed up on a Western Digital computer hard drive.
The flash drive had to be reformatted to FAT 32 from exFAT (which was the default for the 2TB drive), because my JVC stereo is about 11 years old and didn't recognize exFAT format. Other than that the Drive is working well in my car.

I found the drive on eBay. As a matter of fact, it's a 2TB drive for $10.99 - No Name. Saw another one on there today for $9.69. Although I sometimes purchase brand name drives, I've also had good success with off-brand drives. If I'm using it for Music, there is little risk involved; as I have the music backed up on a Western Digital computer hard drive.
The flash drive had to be reformatted to FAT 32 from exFAT (which was the default for the 2TB drive), because my JVC stereo is about 11 years old and didn't recognize exFAT format. Other than that the Drive is working well in my car.
You were scammed. Drives can read 1tb when they're 32gb. It's well documented. It just overwrites data.

You were scammed. Drives can read 1tb when they're 32gb. It's well documented. It just overwrites data.
Bottom line is that I'm happy with the drive, and I only spent $10 for it. Thanks for your input. Even if it's just 32 GB, that's a lot of music for $10. Have a good day. You really have to work on your bedside manners, assuming that you have any. Learn how to communicate with people, without being so rude. Don't bother responding to me, I just put you on my ignore list.

Last edited:
Bottom line is that I'm happy with the drive, and I only spent $10 for it. Thanks for your input. Even if it's just 32 GB, that's a lot of music for $10. Have a good day. You really have to work on your bedside manners, assuming that you have any. Learn how to communicate with people, without being so rude. Don't bother responding to me, I just put you on my ignore list.
You must have a hard time in the real world. I have some "5000w" amps to sell you.

I just looked on ebay on that 2TB flash drive. Ya not one decent reliable name brand. They were all no name drives and most shipped from China or Hong Kong. Not for me thanks. I have back up too but i need my music to work and not worry about some cheep no name drive failing on me on one of my long drives. I see you said you have back up to a WD drive, WHY a WD drive. Why not some cheep no name drive as you say are good. I saw some on ebay external dives for $10.99. ya that what i thought. Why don't you do a properties check on your home or laptop and show us a screen shot of the listed true TB

Sorry but i would not trust that 2TB drive for $10, just as i would not trust that Boss amp with 5000w for $50. I have spent way to much time over the years remastering my music to high quality sound and over 6,500 songs to a $9.99 2TB no name flash drive. Well good luck. You going to put this nice lady on ignore block too for questioning you too??? or maybe just tell me to
"talk to the hand" Think you need to learn how to communicate with people and learn to take some questioning and negative comments or your not going to last long on here. This is Car Audio Form.

Oh i apologize. Sorry. I have to restate that. You Bobby have done a wonderful job on finding a wonderful flash drive for an incredible price. Such a good child you are. Such good mannered child and smart and even fixes your bed. Bobby, would you like some ice cream and cake for a good job today.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.