Exterior vehicle detailing.... need info.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Supergumby5000
5,000+ posts

Project: F350 begins...
Pullman, WA
I want to give the new truck a nice polishing. It could use it.

Any info on a process here? All ive ever done is wash/dry/wax.....

I figured i'll get some decent power tool polishing wheels. Are there any products i should look into? I always see threads and ish on people doing like 6-stage detailing projects.... wtf are they doing?

Use a clay bar, then wet sand with fine grit (by hand) and polish with some compound. Finish off with a coat of wax.
Works for me...
hmmmm, is this just done to get any debris out of the paint/even up the clear coat or something? Not sure if thats something i want to try on my vehicle for a first time around. Maybe i'll do it on the roof or something first.

hmmmm, is this just done to get any debris out of the paint/even up the clear coat or something? Not sure if thats something i want to try on my vehicle for a first time around. Maybe i'll do it on the roof or something first.
Think of it like this.

1. the clay bar removes debris that's stuck to the paint

2. wet sanding removes the debris the clay bar leaves behind and begins to remove the outermost layer of the clearcoat.

3. compound (rubbing or clearcoat) furthers the removal of the outermost layer of clearcoat. You should use a buffer for this. Be careful! Don't apply too much pressure in a given area for a prolonged period of time.

4. A good coat of wax protects the fresh surface.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I have detailed several of my personal vehicles over the years with great results...

I use a bunch of chemicals on the exterior of my truck everytime I wash it......Mean Green, Wire Wheel, windown cleaner, tire shine, and engine shine. Makes the truck look brand new without even waxing it.

claybar and wax/... mequires has an awesome kit... Then next time you can just wash it and use wuick detailer and it will feel like you just waxed it... wd-40 under wheel wells.. i know it sounds crazy but you will be amazied

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.