Experts! Please help design my new system. . .

starman69

I have a 2009 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab, so space is limited. I am 40 years-old, so I am not looking for some crazy, tricked-out system. The truck came with Sync (http://www.syncmyride.com) and I want to keep it, so bear this in mind when you sugguest a new head unit.

Now, the factory speakers are 5X7's. I would like 6.5 components (present factory install can be used, as the mid and the tweeters are already both in the door) but seperated, so they will be very easy to replace.

My rear doors are more like a half door. My truck is not a Supercrew, but a Supercab. There are speakers in the rear doors, but I'm not certain what size. Would you guys run two sets of 6.5's or just one set up front and something else for the rear doors. Also, I'm guessing I can get by with one 10" sub?

Now, how much power? I would probably be fine with 75-80 RMS. How much RMS for the sub then? Also, a multi-channel amp? How much power for the amp?

I listen to everything from Dave Matthews Band to Classical, so SQ is hugely important. Yes, I'd like some punch to the system, but I don't need you to hear me two blocks away //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Budget installed is probably around $1,000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well you are getting off on the right track as you stated all your stock items and what you want to replace and keep..im 99% sure you will have to keep your stock head unit since you have MS sync but that isnt that big a deal. You can use an adapter to hook up to your amp..as for components there are tons of options. I use infinity components in my car and they sound amazing, but i also here good things about cadence comps. If i were in your shoes i would replace the front and rears with two good sets of components (whatever the budget allows for) and get a nice 5 channel amp maybe something like a kicker zx700.5...this one does 70rmsx4 then 210 to the sub.. as for a sub you are going to get more options thrown at you than you can imagine.. infinity makes some nice SQ based subs..RE SE's and sundown audio's sound amazing as well...The sub is something you are going to have to decide on based on what you want outta the system.

Well you are getting off on the right track as you stated all your stock items and what you want to replace and keep..im 99% sure you will have to keep your stock head unit since you have MS sync but that isnt that big a deal. You can use an adapter to hook up to your amp..as for components there are tons of options. I use infinity components in my car and they sound amazing, but i also here good things about cadence comps. If i were in your shoes i would replace the front and rears with two good sets of components (whatever the budget allows for) and get a nice 5 channel amp maybe something like a kicker zx700.5...this one does 70rmsx4 then 210 to the sub.. as for a sub you are going to get more options thrown at you than you can imagine.. infinity makes some nice SQ based subs..RE SE's and sundown audio's sound amazing as well...The sub is something you are going to have to decide on based on what you want outta the system.
Wow, sounds like I just saved some money on a head unit. That's great. Kicker amp, huh? I hear JL and Alpine are among the best, but maybe too pricey given my budget.

Where would you guys rate Kicker among JL and Alpine? Are Kickers close or not even in the neighborhood? I just want something that is going to last a good, long time.

The shop that is going to do the install carries Hertz subs and raves about them. They also love Boston Acoustics speakers. I know those are good manufacturers and I would be fine going with them, but this is going to be a best-bang-for-the-buck project.

ahh...didnt know you werent doing the install yourself......Kicker amps are very hard to beat for the price..they are better than alpine and probably comparable to JL.. Boston acoustics sound pretty good...what hertz sub were you looking at?? seems they make subs from 25 dollars up to more than i could afford...lol

ahh...didnt know you werent doing the install yourself......Kicker amps are very hard to beat for the price..they are better than alpine and probably comparable to JL.. Boston acoustics sound pretty good...what hertz sub were you looking at?? seems they make subs from 25 dollars up to more than i could afford...lol
Does me NOT doing the install myself alter your advice in anyway?

I have not yet looked at any of their subs. I am in the researching phase of the project. I just know who I am going to allow to do the install and they push Hertz.

Can anyone recommend a really good SQ sub in the 200-220 watt range?

Well with a budget, having a shop do the install lowers the price range of items that you can look at. I would imagine installation fees are going to be almost as much as the equipment at a shop.

Well with a budget, having a shop do the install lowers the price range of items that you can look at. I would imagine installation fees are going to be almost as much as the equipment at a shop.
I was quoted $50.00 an hour for labor. How long will it take to replace 4 speakers, tweeters, install crossovers, 10" sub and amp

I will buy the components on line and bring them to the shop. I'm not paying their prices. . .

You're getting a lot of random crap thrown at you.

Well, for a shop. Installation prices won't be cheap. If you've included that in the budget, good, but otherwise, that'll be a good bit to add on. It'll take them a while to install everything. It's going to be at least $200, likely, imo, maybe even more.

For the head unit, what you'll use is a Line Output Converter (LOC) that is tapped into a current speaker line. The shop should know how to do this - it takes the signal there and converts it to a signal the amp can read.

For the speakers, my recommendation goes to Image Dynamics. Good overall speakers, excellent for the price. They'll run you a little under $200.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX65CS--Image-Dynamics-65"-Component-Speaker-System.htm

For the subwoofer, I'd also recommend the same brand for a SQ install -

http://www.woofersetc.com/p2033/IDQ10V2D4--Image-Dynamics-10"-IDQ-Dual-4-Ohm-Subwoofer.htm

For the prices there's not a lot of good options for an SQ install, and these are among the better options out there.

As far as amplifiers go, the way I would do this is get a good 4 channel amplifier, and bridge the rear two channels to the subwoofer, and run the front two channels to the speakers. Five channel amplifiers are quite a bit more expensive, and you don't honestly need to run rear speakers off an amp. You can leave them wired into the HU just fine.

Alternatively, the speakers can handle quite a bit of power, so if you wanted a four channel, bridging it to them, and a second mono amplifier for the sub, it would be a good match.

As far as amplifier recommendations go... There's a lot of options. Hifonics would be the budget minded side, kicker is a middle of the line good brand to go with, JL and Alpine are good brands but I've always seen as quite a bit more expensive than others. Zapco is one of the top of the line. Quite a few options to look for.

Dont' be stuck on what the shop has to offer. There are hundreds of companies that make great stuff that you'll find out if you search around here. Kicker, Alpine, and JL are only the mainstream things that shops stock. Of those, I like kicker's.

I'd really recommend doing the install yourself if you can. It's easier than you'd think if you just research here. You'll save a bunch that you can put towards better equipment, and to be honest I woudlnt' trust most audio shops, especially one's that are telling you Hertz are the best.

I would go with those ID's for your fronts recommended above. Leave your rear speakers, all they will do is take away from soundstage.

Get a nice four channel amp. My budget favorite is the Cadence txa6004. It'll do 150x2 @4ohms for your front stage, and the rear two channels can be bridged for 600 watts @4ohms for a sub. There are many subs that will do great off that 600 watts- RE SE, Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection, Fi SSD, etc etc.

You may not want to listen to us because you trust your local pro...but believe us, most of us have been through enough setups to know what we're doing (well, SOME of us).

Spend $600-700 initially to get what you think will satisfy you.

Then spend the other $300-400 later when you figure out where you originally went wrong and that you need more of this, that, the other ... namely bass.

Edit: Prepare to double/ triple all of these $'s later as your sickness grows. You will be retiring later than you thought.

Amp: MB Quart DSC4125

http://www.caraudiodeals.com/mb-quart-dsc4125-p-2250.html

$135 shipped

Speakers: Image Dynamics CXS62 V.2

http://www.woofersetc.com/p7173/CXS62-V2--Image-Dynamics-65"-2-ohm-Component-System.htm

$360 shipped

Sub: MB Quart PWE252

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3878/PWE252--MB-Quart-10"-Premium-Subwoofer.htm

$150 shipped

Wires: KnuKonceptz 4 gauge Fleks

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KFX-AK4

$52 + ship

Deadener: SecondSkin Damplifier

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibration-mat/damplifier.php?category=70

20sf for $55 + ship

Theres a nice SQ system for

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.