Epicenter Plus Glitches/Artifacts

Participant count
  • Participant list

daemon9

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hey all, new here. I just got my Epicenter Plus installed and as I was going through the tuning process and noticed some weird things happening in some of the songs that should really have no issues. I listen to a lot of old school Metal...Slayer, Metallica, etc. and for the most part the Epicenter does a decent job of bringing the double bass out in songs where it got buried or the bass guitar that seemed to have just been cut *cough*Justice*cough*. But some songs just make me think wtf is going on here?? For example, Slayer's Spill the Blood...really simple song... when you hear it you would think you can't really screw bass restoration up here, but the very first bass note that rings just cuts out half way. Then the next two notes sounds like Tom Araya just forgot how the song goes...a simple 5-note part. On Joe Satriani's Slow and Easy...long base notes seem to get confused and turn into other notes when the original note didn't change at all. It's as if it's being so sensitive that it's adding bass to the music where it really shouldn't...although most of the time it's not even in key. My Epicenter is still in factory configuration and it being a Plus, it doesn't have the sweep/wide dials to adjust...so I'm not quite sure what would be causing this. It doesn't matter what level the Epicenter is at (except completely muted) you can still hear the artifacts. Let me know what you think, I'd appreciate it.

your not gonna get SQ out of an epicenter.....some artist/albums they work great with, some not at all. i love my epicenter, fun to mess around with when your tuned to 26hz....in your case the epicenter is just doin what it does (im not gonna go into detail on how they work)

your not gonna get SQ out of an epicenter.....some artist/albums they work great with, some not at all. i love my epicenter, fun to mess around with when your tuned to 26hz....in your case the epicenter is just doin what it does (im not gonna go into detail on how they work)

I know how it works which why it doesn't make sense. I also never said I expected sound quality. In any case it's not supposed ADD bass where there isn't nor should it just modify a bass line in a song. There are only two things inside the unit that directly affects bass...the subsonic filter and the bass limiter and neither explain these glitches.

explain to me how an epicenter works

It's pretty simple, actually, and the manual explains it so: "The Epicenter Plus looks at the low
frequency harmonics that are in upper frequencies and uses them to recreate the
lower bass notes that have been rolled off or removed."

Rock/Metal between 1980-1995 is pretty straight forward. There's no complicated electronic bass heavy beats that are attenuated via MIDI controller or anything like that. Guitars were standard tuning for the most part and bass drums didn't sound like they were recorded in a big hall John Bonham-style and actually had more of a tighter punch. If the Epicenter is in fact trying to create a bass tone to a frequency that's far beyond, say, 400hz then a sensitivity dial would be a no brainer...but there isn't one. If this is how Audio Control intended the Plus to function, then it also must have been intended to be used with a specific type of music...and I can see why they discontinued the Plus.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.