Engine Noise?? WTF!!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

FalconXtreme
10+ year member

Wheres my pants?????
ok so today i install my whole system everything u see in my sig. i have pics but not uploaded yet. so anyway i finally finish. time to turn everything on. i set my xovers and put the speaker gains to halfway and the sub gain to zero. music comes on yay! turn the sub gain up to zero just for a lil breakin in. i take my friend home who was helping me everything goin swell im just blastin and blastin. man do i have dimmage lol dont work alt is on the way. but i get home and decide to start hiding all the wires under the carpet. i do so and then start putting stuff backin(backseats etc.) i turn the car on to do some gain fine tuning and put the volume really low and all i get is this beep beep bepp and static noise. so im like "wtf maybe my main rca is kinked" i go through and check everything. i take out and plugg back in all my rcas(even the one on the deck), check them all for kinks and still i get it. now heres the when i turn the volume up as it gets louder the beeps and static dont, they actually start to fade away until u can barely hear them. im sure they go completely away but i didn't wanna find out and wake the neighbors. so anyway what do u guys think? think i might just have a cheap rca? it came with my kit from ebay. it is pretty close to my power and ground, speaker wires but i cant help that. so what do u guys think? thanks ahead of time

Maybe cheap rca but i think most likely, you are getting interference from having the rca cable too close to the power cable when under the carpet. Or it could be near a fuel pump perhaps?

ok well it is engine noise cause it goes with my engine. like when i rev the noise revs and so on. the question is how do i stop it? get better rcas or what? my rcas are on one side and the bulk of the power/ground are on another i can only move them so far i'll see how far away i can get them though.

ENGINE NOISE

(alternator whine)

from http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

These are general rules or tips which will prevent or reduce the problems with engine noise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run the patch cords on the opposite side of the vehicle from the main power and remote output wires.

Make sure that all of the audio components are well grounded to an area that has has been cleared of all paint, primer and other protective coatings.

Don't use the factory wiring for the head unit's (HU) ground connection. Ground the HU to the chassis (body) of the vehicle. If the HU isn't mounted directly to a solid, GROUNDED metal structure, ground the case of the HU to the same point that the HU's ground wire is connected.

Do not extend the ground wires of any component unless it's absolutely necessary. If the device's manufacturer designed a high quality input circuit, extending the ground wire will only cause more problems. If all else fails, and you have one audio component which is allowing noise to enter the system, you can then try different grounding points to see if they make a difference.

If the insulation on the patch cord is damaged and is allowed to touch to ground, it will likely allow noise to enter the audio signal path. If the patch cord is pinched under the back seat or where it crosses over any sharp metal (where it enters the trunk) it will cause noise problems.

As you already know, an amplifier's speaker output generally has one speaker wire with the audio signal and another (the reference) which is connected to the audio ground inside of the amplifier. If the reference is allowed to come in contact with ground (in the door or back deck of the vehicle), a ground loop may be created allowing noise to enter the system. This is not very common but it has happened.

Set the amplifier's gain controls properly. Setting the gains too high will only make a problem with noise worse.

NOTE:

DO NOT make any connection (RCA or otherwise) with the system switched on. Doing so may cause damage to speakers or amplifiers

Make sure you have good, clean, secure grounds and they are in the same point or really close together. Aside from RCAs ran with power wire, ground loop is the number 1 cause of noise. Check that out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.