engine noise through speakers.

kyleg94cavy
10+ year member

Stan Farrey is the man!
yeah i redid my ground today. made sure it was all sanded down and what not. and i still have a gay ass whine through my speakers..its like only when my systems off...or down really low. when i have the music up i cant hear it. but its really annoying ne help at all?

Turn down the gain on the amp powering your highs. Or buy a line amp. You need to boost the preamp signal so that less of the whine gets amplified. Or get a H/U with 4 volt preout. Whats happening is the noise is entering your signal cables either because the signal is to weak or your rca cables are poor quality. But either way lowering the gain on the amp should help. your should only hear it through your front speakers, cause it's high pitched right?

-------------------------

..its like only when my systems off...or down really low.

-------------------------

do u mean if your engine is running and your audio h.u. is turned off u still hear the engine whine.............maybe your amps do not turn off with your h.u. ........ may need to check your remote wiring

coz

my system doesnt give the whining sound if my h.u. is off while engine is running ....its only audiable if the volume is really low

either way we still have a grounding problem

Both of you, Turn down the gain on your jenson/front/6x9 amp to like 1/2 or less. The noise should be quieter and maybe gone. Or get some better rcas. A line amp will also work. Don't ground to places like the hood, rear deck, or trunk lid. Your ground should be same awg as power and short as possible. Single point grounding will eliminate ground loops. Oh ya and make sure your amps,h/u ect. are not touching any metal part of the car. If that don't get rid of it, well try it first and let me know.

why is the rear deck a bad place to ground? thats' where i have my amps grounded and i have a ground loop, just wondering why that is and if i move my grounding point it will definitely fix it...dont wanna end up drilling all these holes if it doesnt fix it, you know?

Wow, first, grounding to the rear deck is bad because most of the time it isn't a direct connection to the main ground point of the car, it will most definelty induce alternator noise. Your problem is not too weak of a signal from your HU. It is because of a ground somewhere. Reground the HU to a solid peice of metal somewhere, and make sure all the amps are grounded in the same place. What kind of HU do you have? What Kind of Amps? Also, the problem is not your RCA's, so don't go buy new ones. As long as they aren't run next to the power cables you shouldn't have a problem with them.

hey guys......i installed the filtering device i was talking about and guess what..........the whine is gone.....what u do is install this device to your h.u. and feed your amp(s) through this device and enjoy your system at low or high volumes you choose.

btw the full name for this device is Engine Filter : 10-20A Noise suppressor........i got it for $F14 which would be around $US6.50

i have a pioneer 6400 hu and a memphis 500w amp to the sub and a soundstorm amp (being replaced in the spring/summer) powering the front speakers. where would a good ground point be in a 96 grand am? any ga owners in these forums? i'd like to kno where u guys grounded at?

i have a pioneer 6400 hu and a memphis 500w amp to the sub and a soundstorm amp (being replaced in the spring/summer) powering the front speakers. where would a good ground point be in a 96 grand am? any ga owners in these forums? i'd like to kno where u guys grounded at?
Dig around in the trunk, look in spare tire well, your best bet is to usually just drill a hole and stick a bolt in there. Occasionally you will get lucky and find a bolt on the car you could attach the ground to, but many times its easier to just drill yoruself. Make sure you use a dremel tool to grind away all paint on the metal. Also your ground must be the same guage as your power, and all grounds should be to one spot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.