Engine Alternator Whine being caused by amplifier Elemental Designs Nine.4 ?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I know, I know. This topic has been discussed tirelessly, but I haven't found info regarding the amplifier being is cause of the interference.

I've had an Elemental Designed nine.4 (smaller 4 channel amp about 60watts per channel) in 2 different cars and in both cars the engine whine is identical sounding. Even with different upgraded RCA and power cables. And using a different head unit the whine is still present. The RCA's are ran opposite of power cables, the power cables are run through the engine bay with thick rubber gourmets, and the amp is properly ground to chassis. In a Scion xb 2010.

Is it possible the amplifier is just noisy, or faulty?

Amplifier output is solid, just noisy as heck.

Head unit is brand new: Pioneer avh-x3800bhs (using network 3 way mode)

The usually ground rca ground deck to amplifier. Run your phone directly to amp. Try to isolate problem

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

The usually ground rca ground deck to amplifier. Run your phone directly to amp. Try to isolate problem
Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
My last head unit was a Pioneer p880prs that had the pico fuse issue. I tried every trick in the book, even ground the dang RCA cables to the stereo chassis, and car chassis. it would be silent for a while then build up again over time.

I'll try grounding the new stereo differently, although I believe I did that, can't remember...

could be the capacitors going bad
these things are difficult to troubleshoot
I had a pair of M-Audio BX5A monitors that were known to have capacitor issues and cause interference and a "thump" when turned on and off, and when you swapped the main power caps out they became dead silent. I think I might just replace the amp and see if that solves the issues...although that Elemental Designs amp puts excellent sound!

You have a spare amp?

Might consider that. And if you've tried everything as you said and try out a diff amp and noise goes away, then you know it's the ED amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.