Enclosure question for single 12" Fi Q

Participant count
  • Participant list
Pretty much. Just was curious about the tuning frequency is all, to see which one would be the best to use. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm confused. Earlier you said 60-80 is lacking, now 38-40 is as well? I mean it only takes a minute to EQ. If you don't like it, build a new box.
Eq is not the answer to getting the 60 to 100hz range. His sub is just not capable of that because its geared for different purposes.

Not everyone will like low 30s tuning, everyone has different music tastes. Listening to metal, edm, i get waaay better resonse tuning to high 30s rather then getting a decaf oriented box tuned to low 30s.

Yeah, personally I like lower tuning. 30 should be good.
But I listen to alot of rock and metal too though, and from what I've read those require a bit higher tuning to get that nice punchy bass from the kick drums. And lower tuning is good for Rap/decaf stuff.

But I listen to alot of rock and metal too though, and from what I've read those require a bit higher tuning to get that nice punchy bass from the kick drums. And lower tuning is good for Rap/decaf stuff.
Depends on woofers too, some woofers cant play higher notes well at all. Nowadays on forums sound quality means being able to reach down low. F that, you tuned for ehat you want to be loud with. Use winisd and get the perfect curb for your own preferences. Keep in mind that Bigger box gives more efficiency but does skew the response to the lower end of the spectrum too.

Hopefully your new box gives you what you want. Though I still think tuning higher, you lose more musicality. Like I said earlier, roll off below tuning fq is steeper than above it and that's why lower tuning is better for SQ applications. I listening to pretty much all kinds of music and I was able to get it to my liking with minimal tuning. Then again, I'm not using the EQ on my HU.

Port area seems slightly on the high side at 20 square inches per cubic foot. But anything less and I'd be pushing over 90ft/s of velocity through the port at tuning and that will create port noise. This design is already 80ft/s which is pushing it.

If you have good 2 way components and you seal up your doors. You'll gain that 60-100hz.
I've got Focal PS165's up front right now. Soon to be replaced by Polk MM6501's. And the doors are dynamatted and have F.A.S.T Rings installed as well. Big difference in midbass with those rings. But still need more dampening.

I've got Focal PS165's up front right now. Soon to be replaced by Polk MM6501's. And the doors are dynamatted and have F.A.S.T Rings installed as well. Big difference in midbass with those rings. But still need more dampening.
I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the polks are over the focals, but you should really make sure you get something that plays well lower so you can close the crossover gap.

I'm not sure how much of an upgrade the polks are over the focals, but you should really make sure you get something that plays well lower so you can close the crossover gap.
The polks are rated 125W RMS vs 80W on the Focals. The Polks are rated down to 40hz vs 60hz on the Focals. And the Polks are also said to have a much warmer sound, which is what I'm mostly after, as the Focal's are just too harsh on the ears at higher volumes. The Focals only really sound their best with Electronic music. With rock/metal, they can get way too harsh with vocals and cymbols. So hopefully they'll be better to my ear, because they should be here this week lol.

What your seeking aren't sub bass frequencies. Your sub shouldn't br playing them. Your midbass should be. And your sub should be crossed over in the 60-80 range. Which allows you to pull your bass stage to the front so it doesnt sound like its behind you

The polks are rated 125W RMS vs 80W on the Focals. The Polks are rated down to 40hz vs 60hz on the Focals. And the Polks are also said to have a much warmer sound, which is what I'm mostly after, as the Focal's are just too harsh on the ears at higher volumes. The Focals only really sound their best with Electronic music. With rock/metal, they can get way too harsh with vocals and cymbols. So hopefully they'll be better to my ear, because they should be here this week lol.
Power ratings aren't necessarily indicative of how well a midbass can play lower frequencies. Hope you like them. Not sure how different they are from the polk db, but my friend ran them for years. Not great midbass to say the least. Let us know how it all works out.

What your seeking aren't sub bass frequencies. Your sub shouldn't br playing them. Your midbass should be. And your sub should be crossed over in the 60-80 range. Which allows you to pull your bass stage to the front so it doesnt sound like its behind you
My sub is crossed at 80hz, as are my mids. But as a said before I'm pretty sure my current box is a prefab. When I model it up in winISD/Torres Box Calc it comes up as being 2.8cuft net with only 25 square inches of port and a tuning of around 26-28hz, but with a port width of 1.75"!! So my new box is gonna be 2.5cuft with nearly 50 square inches of port area 3.5" wide and tuned to a more respectable (and hopefully ear pleasing) 32/33hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.