Elemental 12A and Jl 12W7

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hans
10+ year member

\/..Funky Pup Magnet..\/
Well I was at a local shop today I got to talking with the manager about how great JL Subs are. I brought up the fact that I had an ED sub, which he had never heard of, but decided to come check it out. He said it sounded pretty good for an "internet sub" but still thought the 12W7 sounded better. I insisted that we compare them side by side, and he agreed to throw my sub in his car. He had a 2002 accord coupe with a 12W7, 1000.1, utopias, a pretty nice system overall. His 12W7 was in a box around 1.25 cubic feet, mine is around 1.1 cubes. We listened to a pretty large variety of music and then switched my sub in his trunk. Playing the same music on both subs I came up with this:

The 12W7 is nothing to be joked about as it was very loud off only 1000 watts. It seemed to hit really good on rap, and some newer rock. My 12A sounded nearly the same, but seemed not to be quite as loud as the w7 on rap and more "constant bass music". It did sound better on "fast paced" music, like techno and heavy metal however. All in all they both sounded really close, so close you would be hard pressed to know which sub is playing if you had not opened the trunk. It was like the 12A just seemed to hit "harder" sort of speak. It was just "too punchy" as the guy put it.

Well I guess I was pretty satisfied when I heard "yeah they sound pretty much the same" from a guy in a JL authorized shop. But then he had to go off on how the JL would sound better with more power, would be louder ported, etc. And of course how there is no way my Avionixx 800.2 is putting out its rated power because of its $285 price tag. Whatever, it was certianly fun listening to 2 of the best subs on the market side by side though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Hans

10+ year member
\/..Funky Pup Magnet..\/
Hans
Pocatello, ID
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies