ElectroMagnetic Interference??

wErd
5,000+ posts

Maker of All Good Threads
usa
I have an 06 altima and i just put a double din DVD player up front. and im getting high pitched noises out of it. My ground is good, clean and secure. So i started looking at Altima forums and noticed quite a bit of people coming up with the same problem. And i noticed that alot of them blame ElectroMagnetic Frequencies for this problem by saying there are alot of electrical items behind the dash that interfere with the radio...

For instance if im sitting in my car with the engine off just playing the radio theres no noise. but if i turn my headlights on (which are factory HID's) i get noise... When the car is running fully operating the noises get louder. But can be drowned out by music at higher volumes.

So basically im asking:

1. If anyone on this forum may have run into this issue with their altima and if/how you went about resolving it. AND

2. Can these "EMF's" really be interfering with the radio.

And all the speakers are the stock BOSE which i had no noise issues with before installing the aftermarket deck.

So when your car is off and your headlights are on, you get the noise?

Is your deck grounded through the wire harness AND grounded to nearby metal?

Do you have aftermarket amps or is everything else stock besides the deck?

So when your car is off and your headlights are on, you get the noise?
Is your deck grounded through the wire harness AND grounded to nearby metal?

Do you have aftermarket amps or is everything else stock besides the deck?
The deck is grounded strait from the deck to a ground.

And everything other than the deck is stock.

take the deck completely out of the dash and see if you still have noise. if yes isolate the power supply for the deck like using a diff battery for i and see wat happens
yea i still have the noise when i pull the deck out of the dash. and i'll have to try the different battery thing later..its raining outside now.

You missed something big here. If the interference is from radio frequency from devices inside the dash, then that means the interference will still happen with the car OFF and headlights ON.

This would suggest the headlights are leaking radiowaves that are getting into preamp circuits and whatnot. (I'm a radio geek so bear with me.)

If these problems exist while the engine is off, then I can believe the headlights are leaking RF somehow. If the system is clean while the engine is off, then you're getting alternator noise or noise from your ignition coil/spark plugs.

You missed something big here. If the interference is from radio frequency from devices inside the dash, then that means the interference will still happen with the car OFF and headlights ON.
This would suggest the headlights are leaking radiowaves that are getting into preamp circuits and whatnot. (I'm a radio geek so bear with me.)

If these problems exist while the engine is off, then I can believe the headlights are leaking RF somehow. If the system is clean while the engine is off, then you're getting alternator noise or noise from your ignition coil/spark plugs.
the only time i dont have noise is when the car is off and no headlights. i can have the car on and headlights off and still get noise.

It might be fuel pump noise if the car turns on other things before turning the key all the way to the starting position, that's what I was getting at.

It might be fuel pump noise if the car turns on other things before turning the key all the way to the starting position, that's what I was getting at.
fuel pump noise coming thru the speakers?

yea i still have the noise when i pull the deck out of the dash. and i'll have to try the different battery thing later..its raining outside now.
Are you saying when you hook up this deck on a test bench away from the car you still have the noise in test speakers or still have the noise in the car when the deck is removed?

Either way, something is seriously wrong with your set up. Are you sure there is no amplifier in your stock system? Bose, JBL or infinity type factory system?

Choose a new ground position that makes better contact with the cars chassis.

Keep the ground wire short.

Use the same gauge wire as the power lead.

Eliminate excess wire on the power or ground leads.

Add ferrite beads to the power wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.