Electrical help! I'm "shockingly" in over my head.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sound
10+ year member

Complete Noob
I'm going to be putting a 2400 watt system into a 2004 US Honda Civic Coupe. My question is this. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to keep a stock electrical system, also, due to my lovely Honda ELD I'm pretty sure I can not upgrade my stock alternator (though if anyone has a solution that I don't know about to fit a HO alternator or something else on to a civic without running into problems with the ELD, then by all means, I'm more then willing to see the light). What can I do before I start putting this system in to make sure I've got enough power and I'm not "starving my amps"...? (Also, can I damage my system or amps by running them "starving" before I upgrade the electrical? Or should I make all the necessary upgrades before I put it all in?)

(if you need it, my amps are 1 Alpine PDX 4.100 and 2 Alpine PDX 1.1000, all really efficient amps.)

Def make the necessary upgrades. All you can do for now b4 someone who knows more about honda ELD is getting a good AGM battery, doing the Big 3, finding good grounds for the amp/rear batt.

Another option. I just found out I have the ability to make my 2400 watt system a mere 1400 watt system, but make a good deal of moola in the process.

Would I still be needing to make the same upgrades to my electrical if I put in a 1400 watt system instead?

(I'm not ruling out the 2400 watt system yet, just going over all of my options.)

Another option. I just found out I have the ability to make my 2400 watt system a mere 1400 watt system, but make a good deal of moola in the process.Would I still be needing to make the same upgrades to my electrical if I put in a 1400 watt system instead?

(I'm not ruling out the 2400 watt system yet, just going over all of my options.)
first, what do you plan on running?

secondly, what is your stock alt size?

1400 watts should be able to be handled by a stock alt, big 3 and 2 good batts (one in stock location and one in rear). XS Power has some nice bats //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

first, what do you plan on running? secondly, what is your stock alt size?
Well, I'm pushing Alpine 17pros in the front and Alpine SPR-69C's in the rear deck with an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp.

The 2400 watt option has me running two 12" Alpine type x subs with two Alpine PDX 1.1000 amps.

The 1400 watt option has me only running one of each.

My alternator is rated 70 amps I do believe.

1400wrms on a stock 70amp alt would prob be pretty hard on it but if you get a good battery for the back you should be fine.

2400wrms on a stock 70amp alt would be possible if you get a XS Power d3100 or two for the back and a d3400 for the front. Or something similar. I have a stock 95amp alt and I'm running an AQ2200d and a Cadence TXA3002 with just a single battery in the trunk and it only drops to 12.3(lowest) at idle normally, occasionally it will drop to 11.9 or so on high, inefficient notes. While driving its relatively steady at 13.8 ish.

1400wrms on a stock 70amp alt would prob be pretty hard on it but if you get a good battery for the back you should be fine.2400wrms on a stock 70amp alt would be possible if you get a XS Power d3100 or two for the back and a d3400 for the front. Or something similar. I have a stock 95amp alt and I'm running an AQ2200d and a Cadence TXA3002 with just a single battery in the trunk and it only drops to 12.3(lowest) at idle normally, occasionally it will drop to 11.9 or so on high, inefficient notes. While driving its relatively steady at 13.8 ish.
Isnt' adding additional batteries to the system supposed to make it harder on the alternator?

Also, I'm talking to a guy at hondata about a way to bypass the ELD and let me put in a high output alternator. If I was able to do that, how many amps should the alternator I get be rated for both the 14000wrms and the 24000wrms options?

Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Kinetik High Current Power Cells

I heard that adding more batteries to my car will lower the voltage and is harder on my alternator, is this true?

Adding multiple Kinetik Power Cells to a vehicle will not add extra load on your alternator or lower you voltage in your car like adding ‘wet cell’ batteries will. Due to the low ESR and high voltage of Kinetik Power Cells, your voltage will actually increase. Kinetik Power Cells also charge more efficiently and quickly than a standard ‘wet cell’ battery reducing the stress on your alternator.

Up front

Audio Savings | KINETIK KHC1400R POWER CELL CAR AUDIO BATTERY HC1400R

In back

Audio Savings | NEW KINETIK KHC1200 POWER CELL CAR AUDIO BATTERY HC1200

But if you can make them fit

Audio Savings | 2 KINETIK KHC1800 POWER CELL CAR AUDIO BATTERIES HC1800

More than likely have to make adjustments. Best deal in the bunch though was the 2 1800's. 1 up front and 1 in the back for about the same price as the 1400+1200.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 2 1800's. I figured if the 1400R would drop right in it would be easier, but oh well. I've never run a system with two batteries, what am I going to need to look into getting?

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 2 1800's. I figured if the 1400R would drop right in it would be easier, but oh well. I've never run a system with two batteries, what am I going to need to look into getting?
0 ga Wire and 2 fuses wire + to + and - to -. Fuses in the + line within 18" of each battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sound

10+ year member
Complete Noob
Sound
Stamford, CT
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date