Effects of Compression

Anyone still think MP3s sound just as good as CDs??
At 50MPH with windows down, yes. It isn't the format I use at home to listen to music, but in the car, MP3 makes a very nice compromise in convenience/SQ. I rip my MP3s for the car in VB mode 192-256.

At 50MPH with windows down, yes. It isn't the format I use at home to listen to music, but in the car, MP3 makes a very nice compromise in convenience/SQ. I rip my MP3s for the car in VB mode 192-256.
In that respect I can see where you may not hear a difference. In a quiet environment the difference is night and day. Especially if you were to compare it to vinyl, DVD-Audio or SACD but CD-Audio is a big enough difference for me.

would it be possible to redo the graphs with log spacing of frequency? and possible give differnecs between the original and compressed (image subtraction).

While the linear spacing does show harmonics very well (the rows of lines), it also favors HF over LF. most of the detail shows up in a very small part of the pics. compression typically favors LF over HF.

I remember back in the Napster days when most songs out there were ripped @ 128 kb... especially in rock music the sound is clearly awful!
Reading up on many msg boards... it seems VBR (Variable Bit Rate) is the way to go to compress music.
x2 on the VBR. most music you download online ... that has a -GROUP tag is ripped to that standard.

wma and apple lossless codecs arent considered true lossless codecs by audiophiles. try flac, wavpack, ape. and all these charts are showing is bits that is being lost when u encode to a lossy format. thats what its suppose to do

for some reason 192kbps often sound better than 256kbps mp3s. 320kbps usually sound the best though i've run into some that people have made that have disgusting high-pitched amplification that is terrible. must be the encoding algorythm they use. generally though, a top-quality VBR mp3 wins the day with the best trade-off in filesize and soundquality - normally sounding every bit as good as a 320kbps CBR mp3.

Ripped CD's at a high bitrate + good quality CD's and burner = no detectiable difference in home or in car.
I just read this today after going a long time without reading this thread so you'll have to forgive my delayed response (18 days). You are saying that you can't tell a difference between them?? Or are you saying NO ONE can hear a difference.??

Like stated, with my good setup I can really hear the difference between ripped and original. With a factory radio you wont notice.

But I'm just going to start hitting up ebay for all my music in original form..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ngsm13

5,000+ posts
BSEE
ngsm13
Cincinnati, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date