Effects of Compression

You better Jmac //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

And to recent questions, I'd say XM is pretty close to 160kbps MP3. A little bit chopped off at the high end and kind of flat through the midrange.

We already went over that.

I'll quote NetPedia (http://www.netipedia.com/index.php/XM_Satellite_Radio):
Audio channels on XM are digitally compressed using the aacPlus codec from Coding Technologies for most channels, and the AMBE codec from Digital Voice Systems for some voice channels. Due to bandwidth restrictions and a large channel load, the maximum bitrate XM broadcast from its satellite per music channel is limited to 64kbps.
And the talk channels are obviously going to be lower quality, I'm guessing 32kbps.

Most of the time, I can tell when I'm listening to a 160kbps or less mp3/wma. Lower bitrates have a weird *tingy* sound to them... very easy to hear the compression.

192kbps is much better and I believe it to be the best middle of the road bitrate (wrt SQ vs. file size).

Personally, I find gigabytes too cheap to encode at anything less than 320kbps. The only problem w/ that is you can't fit as many files on a CD.

I have yet to try any lossless format.

I've run into a problem recently, in which I think my compression rates may be the source. I just installed an Eclipse CD7000 thats hooked up with a pair of CDT components, and I play my ipod through the headunit's auxillary input.

Many of the songs that I play have an "airy" sound, in which it is dominant more in some songs than others. Is this due to compression rates, faulty wiring, wrong headunit settings or what?

where can you find high bitrate songs for IPOD?
Itunes now is offering some of their music at 192kbps which still isn't all that impressive...
Most private torrent trackers such as What.cd, Waffles.fm and STMusic.org require bitrates above 192k CBR, with many things available in 320 CBR or V0/V2 variable bitrate.

Hey, I store all my music in AIFF lossless on my iPod. My question is when I add one of my friends burned CDs to my iTunes library, I don't have a clue what the quality of that burned CD is so I import it with AIFF. Any idea how to know what the bitrate/format is on the burned CD and how to import the format directly without up converting it to AIFF so that I can have a clear picture of the quality of my files without everything in my iTunes library saying "AIFF file" even though some may have been ripped from a low quality audio CD? My friends CD's aren’t MP3, they are audio CD's so does this mean there is no way of determining the true quality of the recording because it has been unconverted by default to play as an audio CD?

I hope for an answer in the next year or so.

ok so for someone who downloads everything from limewire and puts them on itunes... how bad is it to do that and once they are downloaded is there a way to make them any better when you put them on a cd or ipod ? or are u just stuck with the compressed version.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ngsm13

5,000+ posts
BSEE
ngsm13
Cincinnati, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date