Re: 4.1

Vas: 40 L

Bl: 6.8 T*m

SPL: 84.95 dB

Sd: 220 cm^2

Xmax: 6.00 mm

Voice Coil : 25 mm
Some interesting info for anyone who purchased EHQS 8's... from ICIX:
Since I just registered for an account I can't make a new subject so I'll post it here. I design loudspeakers for a hobby and have a computer dedicated to measurements and crossover design using SoundEasy V13. I've taken many impedance, T/S and frequency measurements over the years and have always measured closely to what the manufacturer states. I just measured a few of the EHQS 8s and got some bad news when I measured their Fs. ED claims 32 hz on their site but here's what I measured:
Sample #1 - 50 hz. Fs, 49 hz. after short break-in

Sample #2 - 51 hz. Fs, 50 hz. after short break-in

Not good

I then grabbed a Dayton RS150 and measured it to see if my measurement setup was acting up. The RS150 was only a few hz. off of Dayton's spec so I know it was good.

To give you an idea of the type of impact this has if you build a single sealed enclosure of 1 ft3 here's what you yield:

32 hz Fs = -3 dB 47 hz, -10 dB 28 hz

50 hz Fs = -3 dB 74 hz, -10 dB 44 hz

This was for a single 2 ohm driver. I'm not sure how the 4 ohm drivers measure.
If you are planning to use these drivers, and you have the means to measure T/S parameters, you should probably do so before putting too much time into enclosure design...

32hz did seem very low.

Edit: 1" voice coils don't like 600w RMS. Put one of them on my 2000D @ 4 ohms. Put it in the shittiest box ever and was still surprised on what $5 does.

just to note...

The guy on ICIX who mentioned the high Fs...has had a 6 or 8 hz drop in Fs after breaking in the driver...which he is still doing.

So after breaking in the driver, most of the parameters will work out...

just to note...
The guy on ICIX who mentioned the high Fs...has had a 6 or 8 hz drop in Fs after breaking in the driver...which he is still doing.

So after breaking in the driver, most of the parameters will work out...
Did you get this info directly from him?

He mentioned it after that post seen above...
Ok, here are the posts that followed:
Almost 4 hours of the 10hz tone and the Fs dropped down to 48.48 hz.
And his fourth and final post in that thread...

I just broke them in some more with 2 hours of 10 hz tone near full xmax and the Fs dropped another 2 hz which is a good thing.
That puts it at a drop of 4 Hz after break-in, not '6 or 8 hz'.

Even at 46 Hz, it's still ~44% out of spec, and not likely to drop much after the break-in that has already taken place.

So uhh what exactly are the new specs and how big of a sealed box do they need?

I don't feel like reading this whole thread to make a box for my wife... I just want the info...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.