Eclipse or Infinity

DeathsShadow
10+ year member

I waz just wondering what u guyz thought would b better... a pair of Eclipse titianium 12" subs or the Infinity perfects 12.1??? im lookin for a sub with good accuracy, response, and low bass, SQ is more important to me than SPL. What kind of encloser should i have with these subs as spasce in my boot is fairly important. i have Australian built '93 Ford Fairmont which is a family sized sedan. i am fairly new to the car audio scene tho so any advice is welcome. i was also thinking of powering the sub s with boss amps, either two 2 channel bridged wars or 2 class d chaos. which would be the better choice with the subs and what other amps should i consider 2 power these subs? i live in Australia so my choice is fairly limited but not completely as tha car audio scene is goin through a growth spurt here.

thanks Evan

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: TunezInOz ]

I have personally owned a pair of eclipse 8712.8 12inch subs and i thought they sounded awsome, every one that sat in my car would compliment me on how my subs sounded "quick" and hard hitting. I have owned pioneer 303's(diamond plate),infinity perfect 12.1's,concept ss12's,rockford xlc's and mtx thunder 8000's and none of these subwoofers have made me as happy as the eclipse 8700's did.

The eclipse 8700's are alot less expensive than the titainium's and sound very nice, all they require is 350watts clean power(each) and .8 to 1.3 cubic feet of airspace(sealed box),I recomend that you have a look at them.

thnaks. eclispe and infinity are not big brans here. in fact they are rare and becuase of that they are very expensive. most people have pioneers and kenwoods and sonys, and if they want 2 go up class they go 2 alpine. most people down here dont know who infinty and eclipse are. so im not goin 4 a big brand just 1 better than my other options.

do u also think that boss amps are good enough 2 power them???

ok well ive been readin a few things of wut people have been sayin bout boss an i figure that they aint all 2 good... (an yeah i know thats an understatment) wut would b good 2 power eclipse 12" subs... either titianiums or the 8700 series

an same for the infinity perfects.

and is it worth payin tha extra cash for tha eclipse's over tha infinity's???

I have been working on buying a nice system that will turn heads. and i found the right one! I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 subwoofers, powered by a Kicker DX350 Class d Mono subwoofer amplifier. The Infinities pound. I would say the Kicker is a good match for the 2 Infinities. They are in a 1.0 volume Q-logic sealed box. This system is every thing i wanted. I would recomend it to anyone looking for KILLER BASS without taking up a lot of space.

I liked my eclipse 8700's better than my perfect's, I found that the 8700's had the same sound quality as the perfects but hit alot harder.

I had the eclipses in a dual 1.25cft box(sealed no fiberfill) powered by a pioneer PRS-X720(650watts rms at 4 ohms, two 8ohm coils in parallel, the 720 can also handle a 2ohm mono load)

I tried my infinity pefect 12.1's in a dual 1.25cft box and a dual 1.6cft box(both sealed), and used a concept cc2002(950rms2ohms) and a concept ccd1200(800rms2ohms). Trying the different boxes and amps didn't help, the perfect's still didn't perform as well as the eclipse 8700's did.

Two things to note-

I owned my eclipse subs for over a year and I never had to replace them from blowing up or wearing out, the only reason I still dont have them is that they were stolen.

I owned my ifinity's for 3 months and replaced 4 of them, one had a factory flaw and the other three burned out their voice coils when cranked up to "standard basshead levels".

I paid 300 dollars each(canadian) for the eclipses and 365 dollars each for the infinity's.

I have returned my current perfect 12s to the store i bought them at and exchanged them for a pair of mtx thunder 8000 12's, they hit hard and go loud but they still don't perform as well as the eclipses.

Also, the Infinity perfect 12.1's have a misleading sensitivity rating.

Their 96db at 1watt 1meter rating is an in car rating. A subwoofer has a 12db cabin gain in a car (a subwoofer will sound 12db louder in your car than in your living room)so the infinity perfect 12's actually have a real sensitivity rating of 84db, meaning you will need a huge amount of power to make them work properly. Eclipse speakers have a rating of 88db meaning they give you more performance with less power.

kool thanx 4 ur help stones

i have decide 2 go with 2 12" 8700...

but i want 2 go with a different amp

i cant go with a small brand because they most likely wont have them in Oz...

so i was thinkin an ALPINE V12 MRV1507 to power the both... do you think dat would b a good combination??

and is there anythin else i need 2 have for this system??? (e.g. capz)

The alpine should power a pair of 8700's quite well. I would go with the 8712.8's(8ohm coils) and parallel the coils, that way you will run the alpine at a 4ohm mono load(Alpine rates the 1507 to put out 900watts rms into a 4ohm mono load which is plenty for a pair of 8700's). Also a 1 farad capacitator would be a good idea, it will help ensure the amp has enough power to pound out long series of beats with flawless accuracy.

A couple things to take note of is to ensure that you break in the subs before you do any spl testing(7 to 10 hours of moderate playing is recommended, or a month of daily cruising), and when tuning the cross over pionts and gains allow the subs to warm up first(let the voice coils warm up)because you will find that they deepen and get louder after about 15minutes of playing but seeing that you live down under(hot climate), that probably isnt really a concern.

Have fun-Stones

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.