ECLIPSE CD8455- Review & Pics

3.5Max6spd
10+ year member

yo mama no wear no draws
Dirty Jersey
ECLIPSE CD8455

here are Eclipse's specs

http://www.eclipse-web.com/cd/cd8455.html

This is simply a thread to show the other angles/views of this headunit that one cannot see from looking at the website. My camera's auto focus is possesed, so some of the pics may not be up to par. Found it difficult to take clean shots as they dont do the deck justice , specially the night pics.

466763_244_full.jpg

466763_242_full.jpg

466763_243_full.jpg

DISPLAY

The display is an improvement over the last line in terms of the vaccum illuminescent display. Its much more fluid and brighter and exhibits a much better

daytime view than the 8443->8454 models.

Through the E-iserv you can download 'whatever is clever' for the Motion Picture display, although there are 3 simple flowing graphics presets on the deck. Nothing of the sort like a race car or what not is preset on the deck, dunno why they would advertise it that way, i found it a turn off on the site. EVERYTHING is an option, which is good. The display has an off setting as well that only turns on briefly during fuction/operation and turns back off during play.

Also the track/station presets being lined on the bottom allowed for a wider display screen

Illumination options are as folows...

BLUE/RED

BLUE/GREEN

BLUE/AMBER(orange-ish)

ALL GREEN

ALL RED

466763_247_full.jpg

466763_246_full.jpg

ERGONOMICS/CONTROLS

This is where I feel this new Eclipse is leaps and bounds IMPROVED over the last series. Other than lacking the rubber tipped edge rotary knobs, these are the super precise. If I were to turn the volume fast , the deck responds on pace-dead on-my 8443 would lag and it would be small delay before it could catch up volume wise and it would be ridiculously sensitive and unexpectidly make adjustments for me when i'd rapidly push down to access the NonFader controls. These new knobs are nice and tight, not flimsy or cheap feeling at all.

FINALLY an easy way to locate/reach MUTE button, right on the left side of the volume knob. Same goes for the opposite side when engaged in funtions/dsp the RTN button is conveniently located dead center on side of the rotary knob, nothing in the way to confuse. I've had the deck less than 48hrs and I found myself making adjustments in/out easily, and my fingers glided along naturally.

Adjustability

Non Fader, Bass, MID, Treble controls now have a range of -6....0....+6

MP3/WMA/ memory card- i'm old school and its nothing that interests me, I've never used mp3, so i cannot comment on its use on this deck at the moment. Although the memory card allows for the use of E-iSERV's tuning tools

466763_251_full.jpg

Remote is very responsive and up/down volume buttons are well integrated for ease of use.

SOUND

466763_248_full.jpg

This deck is a very clean playing and dynamic deck every much so as the elder series. So I found no SQ differences in sound.

SRS-TruBass- simply a surround sound/bass engine similar to those found in the competition. Work quite well and doesnt distort speakers as heavy volume is aplied-nevertheless not my cup of tea. Although with lil' kids in the car, at very low you can jam out and have a nice full sound.

EQ- Gone are the days of 13band graphic EQ's.....now 7 band parametric on normal, 10 band on Pro mode. DSP setup allows for just about every frequency to be tuned. Quite flexible and deep. Tuning capability for 3 and 4way setups

Crossovers- this deck offers 6db, 12db, 18db, 24db crossover slopes

Others: Multi harmonizer, SVC, Phase controls, Time alignment ....

Cons- The trimplate that comes with these eclipse decks has been an issue as far as my metra kit is concerned. I'veinstalled other decks using the same kit and they fit fine- I had to trim the left/right outer edges , because squeezed in was putting pressure on the face, not letting the mechanized face come down for CD insertion. Also dont believe there's a way to FULLY shut off the Sub/Non-fader.

FINAL thoughts:

Love the ergonomics and finally user friendly operation.

Much more tuning capability than my CD8443. It exhibits no audible turn on pops, whether powering the deck from the off , or when turning on from being left on playing(i had no such prob w/ my 8443 BTW, but aware some did). Same crystal clear performance.

It has very little competition in its price range IMO performance/value wise. 8v/55ohm preouts, 24bit DAC's, DSP/tuning galore and a now a responsive/well layed out interface. Looks? ...will always be subjective.I've grown to like the 8455 faster than it took me lo like the 8443.

Manny

doesnt look as bad as i thot it would, based on the eclipse website pix. looks better in car. if u dont mind me asking, whats the price tag?

props on the proper review.

i like the green very much. but i loved the rubber rotary tips even more //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

it dosnt look as bad as it was made out to be at CES. but still a little too expensive for my shallow pockets.

another bad pic- diff color combo...

466763_245_full.jpg

I'll take better quality pics as i'm reading the camera's encyclopedia of a manual to figure out how to use my manual focus, as you can see the pics are over exposed....

meantime, any questions can be answered by the installer and remote operator

466763_252_full.jpg

The MSRP is at $649.

I would have posted pics eventually, but Manny beat me to it.

Sorry Manny you know Ive been busy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Great detailed writeup though.

Sorry Manny you know Ive been busy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
sure skippy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Wow, that looks a lot better than the pictures on eclipse's website. Thanks for the write up...I was ready to pm you and ask for the differences between that and your 8443.

Anyone know how much the gps unit goes for? That would be my only reasonable motivation to upgrade from my 8454.

Wow, that looks a lot better than the pictures on eclipse's website. Thanks for the write up...I was ready to pm you and ask for the differences between that and your 8443.
Anyone know how much the gps unit goes for? That would be my only reasonable motivation to upgrade from my 8454.
Just to clarify, as some think the GPS is a NAVi of sorts. On these decks you basically use Eclipse's E-iSERV, download directions/map onto CD or memory stick, say you are taking a trip....

The area shot is already included when you get the HU. You just have to download directions and let it know when you make a turn to tell you where to go next. Whereas with the optional GPS antenna it automatically knows that you've made the turn and proceeds to the next direction.

In all honesty, I upgraded from my CD8443 basically just for HD/Sirius ready. It turns out the ergonomics and all the extras made the transition an easy one.

The 8454 is a great deck, other than the GPS, SRS, Sirius and the rest, theres no

performance difference.

Thanks for the clarification about the gps. Now I dont feel so obsolete :lol:

I'd love to have sirius. I've gone through countless 3 day trials on their website. You should give mp3 a try. All of my mp3's are ripped from my cds with EAC at 192k, and they sound perfect (with harmonizer setting off). I seriously cannot believe how well these eclipse 8 series decks output mp3's.

Thanks for the clarification about the gps. Now I dont feel so obsolete :lol:
I'd love to have sirius. I've gone through countless 3 day trials on their website. You should give mp3 a try. All of my mp3's are ripped from my cds with EAC at 192k, and they sound perfect (with harmonizer setting off). I seriously cannot believe how well these eclipse 8 series decks output mp3's.
:)nice- gives me incentive to put it to work

The shop told me that the GPS unit(GPS105) retails for $169(he was pretty sure on that).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.