Eclipse Avn2454 for $1,000...too good to be true?

What made you decide on Kenwood Vs Eclipse??? Ya could always wait a few more weeks for the AVN5435 or AVN5495. Since your in NJ Im sure I can help you out on these.
--Don
Well, a few driving factors, really:

(1) From the reviews that I have read, the Kenwood unit has had better reviews in terms of audio output. While I know most would consider this to be heresy(//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif ), I have heard more positive reviews of the Kenwood unit than that of the AVN2454.

(2) While it is a more expensive unit, I have the ability to add the navigation unit on at a later date when additional funds free up. Such is not the case with the AVN.

(3) Fitment issues. A few owners of the AVN2454 with whom I have spoken have stated that there is an ugly gap left in the console with the 2454.

BUT...I will not be purchasing the unit until Aprilish, so that leaves me with plenty of time for a change of heart! Do you have any reviews or pics of the new Eclipses,yet?

There isn't a Kenwood product I would put in my car...I've seen that Kenwood double din in person, looks quite cheap in comparison to the Eclipse- The Eclipse has a more classic OEM look, which allows a better overall look-as if it belongs there- thats important for the thieves out there that like to look in

The AVN 5series will have Eclipse's 5v/55ohm outputs for those that wanted higher voltage than the '04 models-

Of course you've heard more positive reviews on the Kenwood unit- afterall its Kenwood and its cheap..... its like the difference between the Maxima owners that put in the cheapest low quality(microvision) screens in their cars, to those that put in an Iconz screen- their purpose is the same thing-one is just simply better ,more tasteful ,better warranty, 1yr theft protection, better processing/dsp, better navi, better touchscreen....list goes on

As far as the 'gap', its a result of our dash and choice of pocket/install - I've seen the same gap with the Kenwood units in a 5th gen

3.5max pretty much summed everything up. Keep in mind Kenwood is a more generic product wheras Eclipse has their restrictions on sales and alot less dealers. When there is more of something out there, then of course theyll be more reviews on it.

I do still sell Kenwood although the comeback rate of broken HUs is higher than any other 3 brands I carry combined.

There may be a gap, but that can be with either unit. The Eclipse like posted above has the more OEM look and thats why Toyota/Lexus chose Eclipse to do all their OEM navi units. Not to mention Eclipses 3 year warranty and a year of theft replacement compared to Kenwoods 1 year.

--Don

Of course you've heard more positive reviews on the Kenwood unit- afterall its Kenwood and its cheap...
With all due respect, would you mind informing me on how a unit being manufactured by 'Kenwood' and 'being cheap' relate to the positive reviews that have been generated for it?

And as far as being cheap is concerned, I fail to see how the Kenwood unit is cheap when the navigation unit holds an MSRP of $2400 whereas the AVN2454 holds an MSRP of $2199.

But hey, I guess that classifies me in the 'cheap-a$$' microvision class. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

And by virture of your argument, then I should have heard a ton of positive reviews on the Microvision screens, since they are cheap...which I have not.

With all due respect, would you mind informing me on how a unit being manufactured by 'Kenwood' and 'being cheap' relate to the positive reviews that have been generated for it?
And as far as being cheap is concerned, I fail to see how the Kenwood unit is cheap when the navigation unit holds an MSRP of $2400 whereas the AVN2454 holds an MSRP of $2199.

But hey, I guess that classifies me in the 'cheap-a$$' microvision class. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
The MSRP of the Kenwood is just numbers. I have Never seen one sold Anywhere Near that price. In Any store anywhere. Same with the Pioneer originally being at $2100, noone no where actually sold close to that high. Its a simple marketing sceme to lead the customer to believe hes getting a 'good' deal. By your last post you can see that this method works.

Eclipse however will stick to its pricing or Very close to it.

I never claimed that kenwood was 'bad' per say, just not a good comparison with both. Like I also said I sell both, so this is not a biased response. If you like the Kenwood, then go for it. We are just giving advice here.

--Don

I know, and I am greateful for the constructive criticsm. I still have ALOT to learn!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

...but I'm not too keen on someone drawing a correlation to my choice of something other than an Eclipse model as relating me to being 'cheap' and 'distasteful'. I am still looking at a rather expensive unit in either case, not some POS BOSS dvd unit.

Like I said, I have not 100% made up my mind yet...all the reason why I am still looking into all of this!!

I know, and I am greateful for the constructive criticsm. I still have ALOT to learn!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif
...but I'm not too keen on someone drawing a correlation to my choice of something other than an Eclipse model as relating me to being 'cheap' and 'distasteful'. I am still looking at a rather expensive unit in either case, not some POS BOSS dvd unit.

Like I said, I have not 100% made up my mind yet...all the reason why I am still looking into all of this!!

I made a comparison between 2 products(which I have seen and played with both) whose purpose is the same, I was in no way calling you cheap by any means- Ask 6spdcoupe, I too was inquiring on that DD Kenwook last April after it was released

This is your thread, and you've brought these products into the mix in some sort of comparison. Dont compare apples and oranges in a public forum and take offense, simply because someone who has had more extensive experience with the products mentioned as opposed to looking at it online -doesn't tell you what you want to hear...

I would respect your defensiveness if you actually sat in a car and actually felt and operated both products(like i have) and could make some sort of argument-I'm just offering my 0.02

BTW Pioneer has a DD unit coming out soon worth a look....

There may be a gap, but that can be with either unit. The Eclipse like posted above has the more OEM look and thats why Toyota/Lexus chose Eclipse to do all their OEM navi units. Not to mention Eclipses 3 year warranty and a year of theft replacement compared to Kenwoods 1 year.

--Don
That's only if installed by a professional, though...correct? If I purchased an AVN2454 what kind of installation price would I be looking at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.