Dynamat worth it!

rovster

CarAudio.com Recruit
Miramar
I have that other thread on a system for my truck. I know the answer to the above question is yes but curious what your thoughts were. Crutchfield has a vehicle specific kit for my truck it’s basically a sheet for each door. It’s a few hundred bucks.

Reason I ask is it’s a lifted truck so I get a good amount of road noise and vibration from the AT tire. I’m not willing to treat the entire cab so wondering if just treating the doors will make a significant enough difference to justify the cost and aggravation. Thanks!

Short answer is,hell yes ! i have it on my back wall,rear two doors, (needed it bad the way nissan designed this truck),and floor from seats back.Huge improvement and still need and will do the front doors when ever this damm cold weather will ever go AWAY.keeps sound in for the most part making it louder without the road noise.i posted a video in the help with batteries thread and you will see the diff when i open my truck door and then closed how well this stuff works.

Last edited:
Dynamat while it works is overpriced because of the name. Look at a group on facebook called The Deadening. A person there spent thousands of dollars on equipment to test all of the sound deadner that has been made. He found out that Resonix is the best and Second Skin is 2nd across the board for noise removal and so on. Many of these sound deadner these days like Killmat, Noico and a couple others are from the same company and are asphalt based not butyl based like Resonix, Second Skin and Dynamat. How much are they charging just for a "special" kit for your vehicle? I picked up over 40 square feet of Second Skin for 180 dollars shipped on Amazon last time I bought it and last time I looked it was 210 dollars shipped. It doesn't take much to do doors.

Correction was not dynamat it’s sound skins. I like the idea it’s vehicle specific and willing to pay a little more for ease of installation and fitment….

Attachments

• 242CF835-F101-49A9-9856-CD61B43EDCCB.png
    242CF835-F101-49A9-9856-CD61B43EDCCB.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Peel and Seal ...the poor mans dynamat ...available in roofing section of your fine hardware retailers ..such as Lowes , home depot ect ...its about 1/4 price of high dollar name brands like dynamat , stinger ect and even foil backed it can be used in engine bay and on hood as a heat shield or for cleanup appearance installs

330 dollars is insane for just enough sound deadener to do 4 doors. All you need is a couple roller tools, some scissors and some patience. NO way would I pay 330 dollars for 23 square feet of something when I could get Resonix or Second Skin in 40 square feet packages for less then that.

You want to use butyl based not asphalt based. Otherwise it stinks, it melts and can cause a lot of issues.

40 square feet for 199.99. Or 60 bucks for 10 square feet of it. And a set of rollers as well which helps put it on, few different kits from 9 bucks up to 20 on amazon.

Guys just to be clear, I'm not necessarily doing this to cut out road noise I am willing to accept its a loud truck my question was if it would be worth the aggravation of treating the doors since I'm goint to be pulling panels anyway, knowing I don't plan on treating the rest of the truck. At this point in my life I want easy and practical, and I'm willing to put up with some degree of compromise! Thanks!

I did my entire vehicle with dynamat, and:
1. The roof asphalt garbage is not made for your vehicle. Not only does it stink, it doesn't last, or work as well.

2. I wouldn't buy any specific vehicle kit unless the price is right inline. I have only worked with dynamat, but it is incredibly simple to use. As long as you don't leave it outside in the cold it shapes and cuts very easily. On concave (curved like a bowl) corners, you just cut up the bend, and double it up. You can cut it with scissors, or a blade/boxcutter, and shape it before removing the sticky backing. The only tool you want is the roller which costs about $5. If the entire job of the door panel removal, speaker removal, installing, takes an hour, then cutting yourself probably adds 2-5 minutes. You can decide if it's worth it, (probably not).

3. If your tire noise is the biggest issue, then the doors might not be what you want to do. The sound deadener is a sound barrier. Your doors are not between you and your tires. Your doors are best at blocking out the noise from OTHER vehicles. When I did my entire pickup cab, doing the floor and the back wall is what quieted the noise down from my own vehicle. That is what helped quiet down my exhaust, engine, tires, road noise from entering my vehicle. Doors are usually the first thing for most people, but most people's priority is not their own tire noise.

1. The roof asphalt garbage is not made for your vehicle. Not only does it stink, it doesn't last, or work as well.

2. I wouldn't buy any specific vehicle kit unless the price is right inline. I have only worked with dynamat, but it is incredibly simple to use. As long as you don't leave it outside in the cold it shapes and cuts very easily. On concave (curved like a bowl) corners, you just cut up the bend, and double it up. You can cut it with scissors, or a blade/boxcutter, and shape it before removing the sticky backing. The only tool you want is the roller which costs about $5. If the entire job of the door panel removal, speaker removal, installing, takes an hour, then cutting yourself probably adds 2-5 minutes. You can decide if it's worth it, (probably not).

3. If your tire noise is the biggest issue, then the doors might not be what you want to do. The sound deadener is a sound barrier. Your doors are not between you and your tires. Your doors are best at blocking out the noise from OTHER vehicles. When I did my entire pickup cab, doing the floor and the back wall is what quieted the noise down from my own vehicle. That is what helped quiet down my exhaust, engine, tires, road noise from entering my vehicle. Doors are usually the first thing for most people, but most people's priority is not their own tire noise.

Right product in the right place.

Thanks for the response. Are you saying applying takes a hour per door? Or if I already have the door off it only adds a few minutes to the install?

Honestly the road noise from the tires and exhaust does not bother me I figured dampening the doors would be of limited benefit was just curious if it made enough of a difference to justify the aggravation and cost since I will probably have to pull the panel to run wires and or possibly cut a hole for a tweeter. Not really interested in pulling the seats and the floors to treat the entire cab just figured it would be one of those "while I'm there" type deals. Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...