Dynamat worth it!

Yeah, no need to buy a pre-made kit for damping, like Dyna Mat. Just buy some quality product, like Resonix or Second Skin, cut and roll your own. You're not looking for 100% coverage anyways, so pre-cut isn't really a value.

Applying it takes a minute or two per large sheet once it's ready to go on. One door is probably 5 extra minutes if you are already swapping speakers.

Think of it as trying to take a large 1ft x 2ft piece of REALLY sticky tape, trying to mostly line it up, then running the roller over it to press it down. It's simple, if you really need more than that, I'm sure there are youtube videos that show the process.

I like kilmat, fatmat, 66mat, whatever it was. I have like 4 layers on my roof and rear wall, and only spent like $200, tops. Even did my entire rear doors with 2 layers. Sounds like a damn $50k coffin when I close my doors, just sayin

I like kilmat, fatmat, 66mat, whatever it was. I have like 4 layers on my roof and rear wall, and only spent like $200, tops. Even did my entire rear doors with 2 layers. Sounds like a damn $50k coffin when I close my doors, just sayin
I used 80 mill. Fat Mat. Works very well with 3 layers. I cleaned all areas with Dawn Soap to get as much grease and grime and dirt up, then used alcohol 91% for the final Prep stage.Used a box Knife and deff.used gloves, that stuff doesnt look like it, but can be razor sharp.Put 1stlayer on and rolled it.Didnt look like it was going to stick very well, So, i used a heat gun just to warm it up and hit with roller and Stuck pretty solid.Did save for Dynamat and some from Vertex Audio when they were around,Deff the way to go to heat up and make it stick, dont melt itbut get it warmed up and rollit.has worked great. Ive never experienced any bad fumes or smells from using fat Mat and Im in TX where inside vehicle temps can reach over 120*

Didnt look like it was going to stick very well, So, i used a heat gun just to warm it up and hit with roller and Stuck pretty solid.

Mine was 80mil as well. I installed mine in the middle of the summer, and I had mine all laid out in the driveway to get hot. I had a heat gun, but only used it for the super tight bends. Think I used it in my rear doors as well because I did those at night. Ashamed I'm changing all 4 doors on my truck. I'll be layering them again.

After doing some YouTubing and reading up I think I’m going to start by treating the doors and back bulkhead since those areas will be exposed during the install. Seems simple enough. That said after paying attention most of my noise comes from the floor and roof. We’ll see how much that bothers me down the road. Love the idea of the $50k coffin haha not sure I’m looking to put that much effort in😇

Just finished up my front doors today and wow what a diff in sound,and output even from the sub.what i thought was speaker distortion was in fact panel distortion.had to go back and turn the door speaker amp gain down a little once i realized that they could get a lot louder with clear sound without the door metal vibrations interfering.

Last edited:
I forgot what brand I have has plain foil no logo. I placed 4 x 4 squares inside the doors a few inches apart and full coverage on the inner skin behind the door panel. My doors no longer sounds like a tin can when I close it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...