dual tapped horn

Participant count
  • Participant list

akheathen
Premium Member

trianoacitol contraceptiv
can somone help me out with some figures on how to tune one? here is what i need- i have hornresp, but don't fully understand how to use it. have a pair of Infinity 52.5I (525i) 5-1/4" Speakers - Sonic Electronix and have the basic design in mind, but would like to know where to start roughly on the lenght and widths/taper. i plan on recessing the motors through the back-side to get the desired width at the drivers. also, it will start as 3 horns at the back of the drivers, and converge into one opening. thank you

Ok, there is no way to actually "tune" a horn. But control it's low impedance point, yes, which can be used to control overall excursion of the driver for a wider response range. I would definitely recommend letting one of us do the design for you, as hornresp only gives you SOME information about the horn..enough to get a happy sound, but does not figure for anything but a physical model. It can account for bends, but not resonances and such that will occur. This is true for any design in hornresp. I would only use it to verify mechanical parameters and limitations if anything. But great program. So, if you do not want a design, then they have a help section in hornresp to guide you better. Also, some people may give you generals about horns, but to me, there are no generals as each one has its own very significant differences. Not something I would recommend designing from rules of thumbs or anything like that, as they do not apply in calculations. Just a thought. Hope this helps!

Other than that, maybe someone can chime in with some general info that has helped them in the past.

hmm, well, i just wanted some rough numbers so i can mock up a rough design on sketch-up before having things calculated.... and, it will be going in a large shop, not a vehicle, if that helps...

hmm, well, i just wanted some rough numbers so i can mock up a rough design on sketch-up before having things calculated.... and, it will be going in a large shop, not a vehicle, if that helps...
Yea, there is nothing really rough about them, but tell you what, I can get you some numbers but can assure they will not be optimal yet. But it will give you an idea of where to start if anything. The things I will need is the drivers mechanical and thermal limitations(t/s specs) because PE does not have them on the site. Also, sketch up an idea of what you are talking about with 3 into 1 or something like that, so we can get an idea of what we are dealing with. Again, this will be merely a starting point is all and by no means a finished design. Also, the shop dimensions. Post it all here. If I can get something going for you I will. I have a few blueprints and some other things to take care of right now as well, but Ill try to keep up.

ok, after fighting with infiniy's owner manual to get it to download, all they provide is this-52.5i

Type: 5-1⁄4" 2-Way

Speaker Impedance: 4 ohms

Power Handling: 55W RMS, 165W Peak

Sensitivity (2.83V, 1m): 90dB

Frequency Response: 55Hz – 21kHz

Mounting Depth: 2-1/16" (53mm)

Cut-Out Diameter: 4-11/16" (120mm)

....guess i will have to actually get them on a woofertester to measure the rest of the parameters, unless you know of another source that does not come up on google search.......

and, i bought these specifically so i could have something to find the t/s parameters online.... boooo. shop is roughly 100'x80'x35'? and the huge doors are usually open other than winter months.

Ok, kewl. Yea, go ahead and hook them up to the WT and let me know what you come up with. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.