Dual alt help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Masted85

CarAudio.com Recruit
Alabama
I am looking to add a 320A alt to my Tahoe. I’m keeping the factory alt for the vehicle and the added one will be just for the system. Brand X is the alt I’m going with but with it only working the system is there anything special I need to know before ordering? There are options on the page just wondering if I need any certain type.

Is this alternator going to be 100% isolated from the vehicle electrical? Are you going higher voltage or something?

Johnathan Patrick should be able to answer any question you have.

Is this alternator going to be 100% isolated from the vehicle electrical? Are you going higher voltage or something?

Johnathan Patrick should be able to answer any question you have.
The stock alt will only run the vehicle, as it is intended, and the second one will charge a secondary battery only connected to the stereo system.

I got that. But why? Only reason to fully isolate them is if you are running a 16+ volt setup for the stereo.

A second alternator to charge one rear battery is pretty pointless. Again unless you are running 16+ volts

I got that. But why? Only reason to fully isolate them is if you are running a 16+ volt setup for the stereo.

A second alternator to charge one rear battery is pretty pointless. Again unless you are running 16+ volts
I just figured it might help take stress off the stock electrical and have a secondary system for the stereo

Be better off just putting that 320 in place of the stock alternator. Like pop said would be a waste of money putting in dual alternators because then you have another bracket and a longer belt all adding into the cost.

Would be best just to do the Big 3 in 1/0 and the bigger alternator in a 250 or 300 or 320.

Be better off just putting that 320 in place of the stock alternator. Like pop said would be a waste of money putting in dual alternators because then you have another bracket and a longer belt all adding into the cost.

Would be best just to do the Big 3 in 1/0 and the bigger alternator in a 250 or 300 or 320.
I’ve got Big 3 done with 2/0 cable. 1/0 ran back to the amp I have installed currently. I may go with a 390A if best thing is to replace the factory alt instead of adding one.

I’ve got Big 3 done with 2/0 cable. 1/0 ran back to the amp I have installed currently. I may go with a 390A if best thing is to replace the factory alt instead of adding one.
I’ve actually got double 2/0 runs on my Big 3. I guess I’ll plan on replacing the stock alt and getting a secondary battery.

390 is overkill for how many watts you are running. I am running that and only have a 250 amp alternator and 1/0 Big 3 and no issues. If anything yeah add a 2nd battery but 390 would be a very costly investment vs the 300 depending on which company you go through.

390 is overkill for how many watts you are running. I am running that and only have a 250 amp alternator and 1/0 Big 3 and no issues. If anything yeah add a 2nd battery but 390 would be a very costly investment vs the 300 depending on which company you go through.
Im looking at the Brand X 320A. Possibly going with Northstar batteries, Battery 1 and Battery 2, for under hood and extra.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.