DSO nano pocket o-scope aka DSO201

2010HHRUMADBRUH
10+ year member

Gold Diamond Plus VIP+ Member
Anyone used this?

Mainly need it for head unit and amp clipping, as well as line driver and crossover testing.

From what I looked up, it's kinda hard to figure out, and you have to update the firmware to remove the purple shadow lines or something?

Really interested in getting on of these, or something close in price.

I bought one of these but V3 last week and I can tell you I really enjoyed using it for setting my car audio's gain. My current setup consists of head unit, loc, eq/linedriver, and amps. I used it to set max volume on head unit and gains on each of the other devices all the way to the amps. Worked like a charm and the result on screen matched when my ears perceived clipping. I didnt mind the purple waves on the background so I did not upgrade the firmware.

You can set gains on all your devices with no worries except when you get to your amps, because this unit can only accept up to ~40 volts and it might get damaged if you go any higher than that. What I suggest is buying an x10 probe which you can get on ebay or amazon and search for a 3.5mm to BNC female adapter to fit on your DSO Nano. With the x10 probe you can put up to ~200volts I believe... I did not have to use a x10 probe because my amp was putting out only 29 volts before it clipped so I never got past the 40 volts, but I still ordered one just in case for future.

Now the V3 DSO Nano I got has a 3.5mm mono input, so I had to buy some adapters, and also made my own cables, such as 3.5mm mono to two gator clips. Also, bought a 3.5mm mono to RCA adapter. And for your x10 probe you would need a 3.5mm mono to BNC female available on ebay. Also, it doesnt come with a mini usb(not micro) to charge it, so get one of those as well... With all this I think you have more than enough to set gain on all your equipment.

I would recommend it if like me you are on a budget and you are only using it as hobby, say for your car's audio gains.

I have the DSO Nano V2, works great for setting my HU gain and amp gain. (For what the guy above me said, you need the probe for high voltages but I only used it for small amps, so I didn't need to.) I vouch for this product being reliable and easy to use. (Once you get used to it of course)

You can set gains on all your devices with no worries except when you get to your amps, because this unit can only accept up to ~40 volts and it might get damaged if you go any higher than that.
What amplifiers are you running? I only have a single saz1500d v1 (and on 2ohm load at the moment) and a little 60x2 (xm-6020)

What kind of power would get it passed that 40volts?

such as 3.5mm mono to two gator clips. Also, bought a 3.5mm mono to RCA adapter.
I have a 3.5mm to RCA cable, and I have the micro USB AND mini usb cables laying around.

I assume the 3.5mm to rca is to directly connect the dsnano's 3.5mm input to some RCA outputs on devices for easier use than clips or probes, and would serve the same function?

My setup is:

-stock head unit

-cache cloc'd LOC/line driver

-saz1500d v1

-sony xm-6020

-optimus 3 way crossover

-3.5mm on front panel of stock to my ipod

I notice the head unit only clips the stock mids with the bass up, but I like more treble in the front stage, so the bass on the head unit is typically all the way down, or 1 or 2 clicks up from all the way down. It will not really clip/distort this way unless it's about 90-95% turned up (and even then, it's only the stock mids, which are powered by the stock unit (giving my dad the stock unit and stock mids to use when he drives the car, it actually sounds good, lol)

Ten times 40 volts is 400 volts.
Per the manufacturer:

Max. Input Voltage: 80Vpp(x1 probe)400Vpp(x10 probe)

I just went ahead and divided by two, but it would be 28.280 Vrms (x1 probe) and 141.400 Vrms (x10 probe)

I assume the 3.5mm to rca is to directly connect the dsnano's 3.5mm input to some RCA outputs on devices for easier use than clips or probes, and would serve the same function?

Yes sir.

I bought the v1 scope last week. It has both a x1 and an x10 probe. I haven't got around to using it on my car yet, but the new firmware works fine and doesn't need to be updated any more. (You actually can no longer upgrade to BenF if your device has the new boot loader software)

And I'll have to invest in the 3.5mm to RCA

Just be sure that when you go to set your gains, that you actually have a load on it. Without a load, a lot of amps will put out higher numbers unclipped and then as soon as a load is presented, they distort and clip to hell. IE... audiopipe. Taylorfade made a good test demonstrating this.

Just be sure that when you go to set your gains, that you actually have a load on it. Without a load, a lot of amps will put out higher numbers unclipped and then as soon as a load is presented, they distort and clip to hell. IE... audiopipe. Taylorfade made a good test demonstrating this.
Interesting, being Audiopipe is what I have haha. So with a load you are just meaning with the sub hooked up right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...