doubling or tripling amp power?

I would get a new sub now(one that can handle atleast 500rms), and have the proper enclsure built for it, then in the future when you have more money, get a bigger amp. It wont be much louder now, but it will haev the abilty to get much louder when you get a new amp.

As said before, doubling power is only a 3db increase which is only a little louder to the ear. You can get a 1000 watt amp and sub that will be as loud as most people need without having to do much if any electrical upgrades which means all you have to do is buy the equipment. To get a noticeably louder system after that, you will need 2000 watts or more, which will require extra batteries, and a High output alternator.

How much difference would there be between 2 Skar VVX-12s running off 800wrms (400 watts each) and 2 Skar VVX-12s running off 1200-1400wrms? I know it's not even doubling power, so theoretically, it wouldn't be noticeable, but was just wondering because I know the RMS is 600 watts per sub (even though most people run even more than that).

should also add my current amp is a Cadence F-700 (entry level cadence that does 800 @ 2 ohms) and would probably either upgrade to a Cadence ZRS C65 or Planet Audio BB2400 (or whatever else I find a good deal on), so amp quality would also increase a little bit,t oo

I'd make the upgrade for a better quality amp, if you see yourself staying with one setup for a while. Adjust for 1.2kW at maximum volume, and don't worry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I would get a new sub now(one that can handle atleast 500rms), and have the proper enclsure built for it, then in the future when you have more money, get a bigger amp. It wont be much louder now, but it will haev the abilty to get much louder when you get a new amp.
As said before, doubling power is only a 3db increase which is only a little louder to the ear. You can get a 1000 watt amp and sub that will be as loud as most people need without having to do much if any electrical upgrades which means all you have to do is buy the equipment. To get a noticeably louder system after that, you will need 2000 watts or more, which will require extra batteries, and a High output alternator.

so what you are telling us is 3db is only a little louder to the ear?

from what I have seen 3db is twice as loud

so what you are telling us is 3db is only a little louder to the ear?from what I have seen 3db is twice as loud
In a perfect world, a doubling of power would translate into a 3dB increase on a perfect SPL meter. Lots of reasons why you may or may not see this pan out in reality.

However, to hear a "doubling" of volume, as perceived by the ear, takes an SPL increase of 10dB. Our ears are horribly inefficient - 3dB of SPL change is commonly quoted as the threshold that our ears can perceive that "something's changed", whether an increase or decrease.

Was just about to say what jimj said. 3db isn't twice as loud, it is twice as much power. 10db is twice as loud. Which means you need about 10x the power to double the amplitude. Here is a page that could better explain

Decibels

Ok thnx for the input as I have read MANY of times on here that every 3db is twice as loud

I also never never put anything on a meter to know for sure

ok, yes, the amp is rated at 70 watts and the sub is rated at 150 watts rms, even though im only putting 70 watts to it, it does pound quite nicely in my trunk. But now i want a little more, i cant buy a new amp and subs, but maybe either or, so, to get a little more 'feel' and sound, should i go from my 10 to a 12" sub and keep same amp, or, keep the 10" and go bigger amp?
How do you have such a tiny amp? What on earth amp could that be that it's only putting out 70w? And what sub is rated at only 150w? Is that a JL w0? Either way, you'd notice a HUGE increase in output by changing to.... a mere 500w amp and matching sub, with a proper enclosure built for it.

Its an old school kenwood amp, seems like it puts out more than its rated at like many old school amps, heck, it shakes my whole car, just want a little more..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.