Double din head unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnny5101
10+ year member

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I have a couple questions for the car audio buffs. I'm in need of a new double din head unit. I have a 2002 ford explorer. I have factory speakers all around. I have 1 jl audio 10w6 with a power acoustic 2400 amp. I'm looking for a double din head unit that has bluetooth. I have an iPhone 5, so it would be a plus if the unit has iPhone capabilities. It would be nice nice to use the pandora app. I know kenwood does that. I was looking at power acoustic units. I was thinking the pd 931nbt but not sure if that has the options I'm looking for. I would like a minimum of 6.1 inch screen. I could really use someone's help on this. I don't really want to spend over $300. I've found that I'm able to get cheaper prices on eBay. PLEASE HELP ME!! Lol

Compatibility with iPhone 5 means extra costs. You will not likely get a good head unit along with the necessary adapters for $300 or less. Sure, there are lots of cheap double DIN head units on eBay, but there's some real garbage on eBay. You also can't be certain you're not getting a counterfeit or "B stock" unit, a refurb, a customer return sold as new, etc.

One thing of note about the PD-931NBT is the severe lack of audio adjustment settings. It has only a 2-band parametric EQ, which is just about useless. A unit from a major brand such as Pioneer or Kenwood would likely give a pretty big increase in sound quality and adjustments.

So what would you suggest? And what kinda cost increase do you think I might be looking at? Also, thank you so much for replying so quickly. I've been trying to review them for like two weeks! Lol. Just don't want to make the wrong decision. I saw that a bunch were listed as iPhone 4/4s capable. Is that the same as the 5?

Are these pretty much the only ones? If I go higher in numbers of these brands, are those units even better? I know the cost is more. But how about other brands? Another question. Since these units will work with my iPhone, would I be able to use my maps app as a GPS on these units as well? Again, thank you so, so much for your input.

Are these pretty much the only ones? If I go higher in numbers of these brands, are those units even better? I know the cost is more. But how about other brands? Another question. Since these units will work with my iPhone, would I be able to use my maps app as a GPS on these units as well? Again, thank you so, so much for your input.
If you go up a little in price you can get more features...Bluetooth, more audio settings, navigation, touchscreen, 4 volt pre-outs etc. You can look into other brands but I would stick with Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion or JVC. Brands like Power Acoustik, Pyle and Boss are garbage and I wouldn't touch them. I'm not sure about using your map app on the unit but if I had to guess I would say its probably not possible.

Never mind. I would choose to go with something else. I would think I could find something else cheaper. I really don't need the GPS. I have one on my phone if need be. I'm still looking for options if anyone has an opinion though. Thanks south for the ones that have already helped me!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.