Doing Big3... Use Welding Wire?

Jasonb61
10+ year member

Hey everyone.. We just installed a system in my wife's 00 Durango and I'm wanting to do it on my 01 Dakota soon. I'd like to go ahead and do the "Big 3" to both our trucks and someone has suggested using welding wire? Will welding wire be just as good? Any down-side to using it? Thanks!

I have heard of people using it before. Should not be a problem.
Ok, well we are going to upgrade her system soon and I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't hinder quality over regular audio wire. I can't see a reason why it would but ya never know:cool:

Welding wire is identical to the wire that we use with monster cable, etc it's not much thicker in diameter at all. You'll be fine. I used it on alot of my installs since I sell it

almost positive MOST welding wire has thicker & less strands than car audio wire.

& usually has a thicker jacket due to the insulation, which makes the wire less flexible, have less strands / have larger diameter / lower strand count.

but it works. so use it. you could won't hear or tell a difference.

Yes, welding cable uses has fewer strands than the high-quality audio power cable. But the welding cable is still very fine stranded, bends easily, and Ive yet to come across an install that needed more flexibility.

Remember, when we talk about 'welding cable' we are referring to the cable running to the stinger (the main cable to the actually welding tip you hold), which gets dragged around alot and man handled, so they make it very flexible. Its only considered coarse strand here because its being compared to audio cable which is almost ridiculously fine stranded.

Show me an install that required the power cable to be tied into a pretzel with 1" radius curves and I'll show you an install that requires Kicker's high dollar cable. Otherwise, welding cable will work just as well, for a fraction of the cost.

Im not greatly concerned about the jacket. I always run any substantial sized cable in conduit of some sort anyway.

Yep, I run 2/0 welding wire thru my entire setup on my Jeep and my Corvette. I kinda like it better because it will never fade or discolor, and highly heat resistant.

Hey everyone.. We just installed a system in my wife's 00 Durango and I'm wanting to do it on my 01 Dakota soon. I'd like to go ahead and do the "Big 3" to both our trucks and someone has suggested using welding wire? Will welding wire be just as good? Any down-side to using it? Thanks!
didn't know you're over here too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

didn't know you're over here too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Ya, but I'm more of a lurker lol. My wife just got a system in her Durango so I'll probably be a little more active here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.