does the subs depth cut into volume when designing a box?

jriley3
10+ year member

I'm trying to design my box so i can go to home depot tomorrow and have them cut it. I was just wondering if i have to figure out the area of the part of the sub that is going to be inside of the box and subtract that from the inside volume? Or if the sub doesnt matter in the figuring of the internal volume.

I'm trying to design my box so i can go to home depot tomorrow and have them cut it. I was just wondering if i have to figure out the area of the part of the sub that is going to be inside of the box and subtract that from the inside volume? Or if the sub doesnt matter in the figuring of the internal volume.
Yes the driver displaces volume in the enclosure

It entirely depends on the (number of) speaker(s). Sometimes it makes a large difference, i.e. when calculating a box for a 2.25'er (there's a large group of usually 12" drivers that excel in a box this size such as the type r, rl-p and w7) and you're using a speaker that takes up a lot of room, but when you get into large enclosures around 8 cubes per 18", it doesn't really matter as much.

k well i have a 10" kicker cvr that needs .8-3.0 cubic feet. Im thinking about making the box 15X14X14. The driver is the part that sticks into the box right? that part is pretty large. do you think ill be ok? should i make the box larger. I think i have plenty of room im not going to be hauling anything in my trunk and i have a hatchback with seats that fold down so ill have plenty of room if i ever have to pack anything...

k well i have a 10" kicker cvr that needs .8-3.0 cubic feet. Im thinking about making the box 15X14X14. The driver is the part that sticks into the box right? that part is pretty large. do you think ill be ok? should i make the box larger. I think i have plenty of room im not going to be hauling anything in my trunk and i have a hatchback with seats that fold down so ill have plenty of room if i ever have to pack anything...
The manual should specifiy driver displacement. If not, it's usually safe to just approximate--a 10" sub will typically be in the range of 0.05-0.1 cf depending on the size of the basket and motor assembly. Your proposed dimensions will be on the small side after you consider the port displacement. I'd probably try to go a little bigger.

Is this a new CVR? If so, they only need 1.75 cubes net MAX. Plus the sub has a displacement of 0.04cf. So maw i would make it is 1.8cf

Ohhh wait is this box sealed?...yeah your box will be fine then with the size you are making it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.