Does size really matter??

jnewnam88
10+ year member

So call me biased but I have always judged an amp by its size. If I see an amp that is rated for 3-4k and it only 15 to 18 inches long I pretty much think it will not actually put out that wattage. I saw a classified on here for a 4k actual wattage but it seems too small. Im sorry to the person that posted this but I am not trying to knock your amp just curious if I am going about it wrong. What do you guys think.

lemme ask you this in return, what do you think of those cheater amps that say like 100x2 but would really put out like 2k at .5ohm back in the day? i know what you are saying and yes to an extent size does kinda matter, in the end its all how its built. but most amps out there are roughly about the same size.

or to take it one step further, look at some of the brazilian made amps. granted yes they are designed for raw power, but a sd8k puts out 8k with a single power/ground input and has a much much smaller footprint than most other amps in the same wattage region

You can make that kind of power if the amp is 1 Ohm stable, plus obviously it has to be Class D and not A/B. I don't know about any of these setups claimed to run below 1 Ohm, but to get big power out of a tiny amp you have to drop the impedance.

lemme ask you this in return, what do you think of those cheater amps that say like 100x2 but would really put out like 2k at .5ohm back in the day? i know what you are saying and yes to an extent size does kinda matter, in the end its all how its built. but most amps out there are roughly about the same size.
That sure is a good question!! I wouldn't know what to say about it until I blew the vc on my cheap azz sub because its really putting out 2k. So it is just better to check out who built it and check them out. I am about to get the aq3500d.1 so I am not really worried about it just kind of curious. Thanks for retorting though touche

That sure is a good question!! I wouldn't know what to say about it until I blew the vc on my cheap azz sub because its really putting out 2k. So it is just better to check out who built it and check them out. I am about to get the aq3500d.1 so I am not really worried about it just kind of curious. Thanks for retorting though touche
i hope it didnt come off as badgering your op, i was just throwing that out there that there are a chunk of amps with small footprints that will put out a ton of power.

Almost posted a completely different response but saw this was not the dome.

Mmat's/thread.
very good point ^^^^^

or to take it one step further, look at some of the brazilian made amps. granted yes they are designed for raw power, but a sd8k puts out 8k with a single power/ground input and has a much much smaller footprint than most other amps in the same wattage region
So how do they pull that off? Are the internals just that much better?

i hope it didnt come off as badgering your op, i was just throwing that out there that there are a chunk of amps with small footprints that will put out a ton of power.
No not at all man I'm here to learn everything I can. Are people that sensitive??

No not at all man I'm here to learn everything I can. Are people that sensitive??
You have no idea how it is around here yet... The internals and board layout on most smaller amps are better. Unless talking budget amps than they probably don't do rated. Most budget amps that put out a lot of power on inefficient massive bricks.

Clearly this went over my head. Explain
I'll explain a picture with a Mmat's 4000.1

IMG_0660.jpg
[/img]

So will that actually put out 4k @ 1 ohm? Seems so tiny? I don't believe it!!
yes it does all mmats amps are small and very effecient. its in their design parts etc. Many of the other amps you see are very similar ie: aufioque, sundown, crescendo, ia, american bass as there amps are coming out of korea from a select 2 or 3 amp places and sticking their names on it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.