does increasing sealed sub encolsure volume increase spl?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mac336
10+ year member

My 8w1v2 is currently in a small sealed box. I find that it has trouble maintaining SPL at even the upper end of the low frequencies. Would getting a slightly bigger sealed box help with this? (I believe that the current box its in may be even smaller than what its recommended for).

could definitely be worth going for a slightly bigger box, is there any reason you aren't going ported? Could be another option worth looking at

If the design is in less than recommended, then at 90 or 0 phase "tuning" of the sealed box can increase spl below that frequency at 90/0 degree phase response, and an increase in excursion will occur below that point, increasing spl, but decreasing spl above that. It is a tradeoff. Just have to make sure max excursion is not a factor below sealed "tuning" frequency. Other than that, yea, its worth putting it in a bigger box to increase lower end response output.

Ported if youre looking for more SPL. Dont get me wrong sealed subs can get loud but normally Ive found that larger sealed box= hitting lower frequencies. Maybe just try some polyfill to give you an Idea.

Mainly because I love how the sealed sounds. The 8w1v2 is inside the cab and plenty loud enough, my only complaint is the lack of low frequency. I dont even want really low freq, just reasonably low but the spl cuts out when it gets lower than midbass

I was thinking about going with a small ported sub, but I want to keep the tight bass and am afraid the ported will be alittle too loose for my taste

could definitely be worth going for a slightly bigger box, is there any reason you aren't going ported? Could be another option worth looking at

how much polyfill should I use? how do I get it to stick to the walls of the box?
General rule of thumb is a half pound per cubic foot and you simply stuff the box full of it. No sticking or glueing required.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.