Does having different speaker wire affect sound

pearce
10+ year member

Hi.

After doing abit of research I found that different speaker wires have different ohms and do different things.

I do not know how many ohms My head unit is. The front speakers are 4 ohm and the rears are 6 ohm. I could swap rears for 3.2 if needed.

When wiring the speakers this is how I did it.

I used a new piece of speaker wire for each speaker.

This is the harness, very similar anyway.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures.php?id=4264

What I did was, for the right rear wires I used speaker wire to go to the right rear speaker. For the left front I used speaker wire that goes to the left front speaker. For the right front I used speaker wire that goes to the right front speaker.

For the left rear I used speaker wire to go to the left rear speaker.

None of these speaker wires are connected to any other speakers in any way, just connected to their own speaker.

It is a little confusing. I drawn a diagram. None of the speakers are connected in anyway, just to the head unit.

Diagram is attached.

For the front speakers I used the wire that came with them, it was very thin wire with very weak copper wires, roughly 5 wires for each positive and negative.

The rear speakers I bought some speaker wire, a fair bit thicker, stronger copper wires, with more of them in each positive and negative.

The harness, which only has about 10 cm of wire coming from it, are very thick and hard copper wires.

Im just wondering if this could cause bad sound or anything, having different wires for different speakers.

Heres a diagram I drew.

28u6z36.jpg

Thanks very much. I hope you understand what I mean.

Wire is wire, I can't find the article where they did an ABX test between a $1000+ RCA cable and a coat hangar. The golden ears didn't know one was just a coat hangar and couldn't tell the difference between the two.

thankyou very much all.

Why would the rear speakers not distort even at top volume, but the front ones do distort at about volume 28 (depending what song).

I was told this is clipping, but why are the rear ones not making the head unit clip?

Is it because they are 6 ohm instead of 4?

Should I replace the front speakers with 6 ohm speakers?

I know many people dissaprove of this, but could someone tell me -

Out of these 8 speakers, which would be best in my car?

2 4 inch 4 ohms

2 home theatre 8 ohms

2 home theatre 6 ohms

2 6 inch 3.2 ohms.

Currently I have the 4 inches and the home theatre 6 ohms, but would the 8's be better?

From my understanding the higher the ohm means the less power the head unit needs to power the speaker, and this causes less distortion. So wouldnt 8 ohm speakers sound better than the 4's or 6's?

Also, my wiring harness can only fit 4 speakers, is their any way to hook more than 4 speakers up? Directly connect 2 speakers together and only connect one to the deck? Does that work?

Take home audio speakers out of your car, and stop being ghetto with wiring

Your "theory" on ohms is stupid, and wrong

Lower the ohm rating means lower the resistance. Lower the resistance an amp sees, the more power it produces.

Your rear speakers that arent distorting are 6ohm, not getting as much power as the 4 ohm, so that may be why, they also may just be a better quality speaker.

Yes you can run multiple speakers off of single outputs, but you need to do some F U C K I N G research on ohm ratings and wiring in series/parallel before you burn your **** car down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.