Does adding volume to an enclosure change the tuning?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Badfastbusa
10+ year member

Wheelie addict!!!
Atoka, OK
I have a fox acoustics ram quad cab box DODGE QUAD & CREW CAB 2-12" VENTED for 2 SA-12's, and I want to cut into the box and add more air space to it, if I cut into it and added .6 more cu/ft on each side of the box, would it change the tuning of the box? If so, what would it change the tuning to if the box is 1.55cu/ft per side tuned at 35hz right now, the displacement of the subs are 0.14 ft^3 each, and I wanted to add enough to each side to reach close to 2cu/ft on each side, or at least 1.75.

Basically, right now at 1.55cu/ft per side and subtracting the .14 displacement of the subs, that only leaves me with 1.41cu/ft per side which isn't enough and it isn't digging the lows like I want it to. It HAMMERS at around 40-45hz, but I like the lower bass. So I am wanting to add .6cu/ft to each side.

I have racked my brain and searched high and low to find this answer and can't figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Your tuning should drop with added volume, but you need to be sure to retain enough port area per cube net

Yes, adding volume will change the tuning. In this case, the tuning will be lower. But before you go to that much trouble, get some Acousta Stuff from Parts Express and put it in the box. It slows the movement of air inside the box, effectively making it perform like a larger enclosure.

If that doesn't work then get out the saw.

Yes, adding volume will change the tuning. In this case, the tuning will be lower. But before you go to that much trouble, get some Acousta Stuff from Parts Express and put it in the box. It slows the movement of air inside the box, effectively making it perform like a larger enclosure.
I'll try the fill and see how that does.

Hes not gonna get that much out of stuffing tho. stuffing ported boxes is meh anyway. OP whats your current port length

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

and dimensions of the port opening

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.