Does a speaker on a switch change the crossover point of a component set?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bwap

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I have been considering wiring a 8ohm supertweeter on a switch in paralell, so when I open the doors I can drop the ohms and raise the output while adding the distance effect of the supertweeter. Say im wiring a component set that is 4 ohms and crossed at 5k. When I switch the supertweeter on, the impedance the amp sees would drop to 2.66 ohms. The amp I have can supply sufficient power at either load.

Would the crossover point of the component set change because of the change of impedance on the line?

depends. the crossover point will change if you add/remove load on the load side of a passive crossover.

so don't do that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the DPST switch should engage the supertweeter and it's dedicated crossover - and connect ahead of any other passive crossovers.

depends. the crossover point will change if you add/remove load on the load side of a passive crossover.
so don't do that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

the DPST switch should engage the supertweeter and it's dedicated crossover - and connect ahead of any other passive crossovers.
Hmm I was hoping I could just run separate power for the tweeter and add the switch on the power and wire it in parallel.

If that's not possible, is there another switch that I could use that isn't made for a thermostat?.. I was hoping I could use SPST Heavy Toggle switch but if not, its not a big deal.

As long as the load doesn't change the xover point when wired in before the xover, wouldn't this work?

Mid_tweet_tweet_crossover_wiring.jpg

Yes that would work. You might want to consider an 8 ohm stereo L-Pad before the switch so you can set the supertweet's level.
Thanks, good to know. I have been considering a new setup as I found I can fit an 8 inch midrange in the front.

I hear that 8 inch midranges can get muddy 3-5k.. so id like to wire together an 8", a 3" and a silk dome on each door.

The problem I have is how would I get 200 rms to the 8" and such low power to the 3"(most 3" have low power handling)

I have the amp to push the power, I just don't know how to split up the power so I don't blow through 3"s regularly.

a dpst switch is needed. you need to disconnect both positive and negative or it will mess with the other crossover components.
Thanks, didn't think of that.. I have updated my diagram like so...

Mid_tweet_tweet_crossover_wiring.jpg

I have a few new questions now..

As far the Lpad, I would need one mono Lpad per supertweeter correct?

And as far as crossover components, should I go with air core inductors and metalized poly caps for best SQ?

(I have heard that these are the best, wondering if there are reasons why I should go with other materials and where)

What should I mount the caps and coils onto?(fiberglass?)

looks good. yes, one mono Lpad per tweeter. i like that idea as well.
air core is fine. poly caps are fine.

buy a blank project board from RadioShack

Grid-Style PC Board with 750 Holes : PC Boards | RadioShack.com
Thanks, you have been a huge help to me. My reason for joining this forum was because I needed to pm you and gain some of your knowledge, now I find myself on here several times a day. haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ill be ordering those parts today. Any reason you say the type of cap and coil I chose are "fine"? If there is something else I should use for a certain part, then please let me know. :p

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.