Do Efficient Class D amps like JL Audio/Alpine benifit from using 1/0 OFC Power wire?

airman

Hello, I have a Alpine PDX-F9 4ch amp and a PDX-M6 Mono amp installed in my car. I'm using 17ft of Stinger 4AWG OFC power cable to connect to both amps via a 1.5 farad capacitor. I was thinking of doing a Big 3 wire upgrade and replacing the 4AWG with 1/0AWG OFC power cable however I'm also wondering if this is really necessary since both these amps are highly efficient Class D designs rather than the older class A/B amplifier design with I assume needed more power. I am thinking of upgrading the mono amp to a 1200 watt JL Audio HD1200/1

Would this be overkill since I logically assume that Alpine, like other manufacturers design these amps for the lowest common denominator in mind such as going into the average car with a 70 to 90 amp stock alternator. Isn't this Big 3 upgrade only going to benefit those who build those monster "Boom" cars that you usually hear racing down the street, Subwoofers booming at full power with 4000 or 6000 watt systems.

I live in South LA so I hear these cars everyday. Would I really get any benefit in minimizing voltage drop by upgrading the battery cable and doing the Big 3 wire upgrade with amps using efficient class D design like these 2 Alpine amps that I have. P.S. I notice that the PDX-F9 gets hot after a while although I think that this is normal but I thought I include that with this post.

Thanks.

you have separate runs of 4 awg for each amp??

Don't bother IMO.

As important as (or more than) efficiency (the JL's ~80%) is JL's amps are very tightly regulated. So even if you're dropping a few tenths of a volt due to wiring the amps are still going to produce rated power. And any slight drop off you may be getting will be WELL within the limits of inaudibility.

Over a 17ft run of 4awg power wire, and with amplifier efficiency of 80%, you can have 1275 watts before you reach a drop of 0.5v. So if each amp is getting its own 4awg run, you're fine. If not, upgrade to a 1/0awg run from the battery to the back into a distro block.

On another note, your PDX amps have a maximum 4awg power wire input.

Basic Car Audio Electronics and then click on the "wire" page on the right. Go down to the "Determine Maximum Amplifier Power for a Given Wire Size" calculator.

-Steve

JL Audio amps are super regulated both input and output, so i'd eliminate them from the efficiency talk. i've seen so many issues with those amp shutting down due to drawing too much current to produce it's regulated output power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.