DNX gps antenna

Vital
10+ year member

NY
Where is your gps antenna???

Here's why i ask:

GPS antenna in magnetic (sticks to metal). By "rules" it's supposed to be on the front of the dash, right next to the windshield. Not a good spot looks-wise if u ask me. So on my first dnx i simply sticked it to the side of the unit itself. It's metal, antenna is magnetic, so it works. Haven't had any issues with navi, exect for maybe (if it has anything to do with it at all) voice telling u where to turn/giving directions was breaking up once in a while. I returned the unit cuz it had some sound issues (volume controls not responding, usb cord not reading usb...)

Now when i got my replacement 5120 i sticked antenna to car's metal piece below/in the back of dnx. It worked fine the first day, no problems. Then it started to not see the sattellite. Sometimes while it says "looking for a settelite" i can just enter the adress i need to go to and it finds it right away together with the sattellite and the route. Sometimes it does not. I'll try repositioning antenna to the unit itself over the weekend to try to fix navi but apparantly i need to look for another place to put it. Prefferably not on the front dash.

in my audi I took the gauge cluster out (really easy in most audis) and put it in a nice little spot between the dash support and the actual fiberglass dash.... wasnt on metal but used a piece of double stick tape to hold it in place. Always worked great as there wasnt any metal between the antenna and the satellites... and you had no idea it was there.

For the BEST signal, make use of the long cable and put in on your roof.

GPS uses "line of sight" with the sky. Putting it on metal gives it a better ground plane and makes the signal a tiny bit better, but thats not the big issue.

The BEST signal would be outside your car on the roof, its metal, theres nothing in the way between it and the satellites. On your dash its got the glass in between it, cuts down on signal but not noticeably. Under your dash but still towards the front of the windshield is usually a good place if you're worried about looks. It still has the plastic of the dash, and the glass between it and the satellites, but its good enough to receive the small amount of information it needs.

It can not see through metal. So even if its under your upper dash but closer to you in the car (the back) it will be more under the METAL roof of the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.