DMM method not agreeing with SMD-DD1

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
I just mvoed my attitude into a new box and we decided to check over the gains. Being set with a -5 tone @ 50z, the DD1 was set to 56VAC. The DMM method shows i should be 38.7 (granted this tone is probably 0)

What should i use? This sub is crying for more juice :X

I just mvoed my attitude into a new box and we decided to check over the gains. Being set with a -5 tone @ 50z, the DD1 was set to 56VAC. The DMM method shows i should be 38.7 (granted this tone is probably 0)

What should i use? This sub is crying for more juice :X
I'd use the DD-1 seems to be the right thing to use.. DMM is just a base measure from what i've read and been told.. O-scope/DD1 to use right

I'd use the DD-1 seems to be the right thing to use.. DMM is just a base measure from what i've read and been told.. O-scope/DD1 to use right
I still don't know the "how" of the DMM method is or how reliable it actually is. Now that im in a bigger box i should be able to consume more power

I still don't know the "how" of the DMM method is or how reliable it actually is. Now that im in a bigger box i should be able to consume more power
DMM - measuring ohm/watts to give you the voltage range that should be clean.. DD-1 Reads and shows Clean Signal.. so eh DD-!

Where your amp clips is where it clips. It doesn't matter if your sub "wants more" or not. Your amp can't cleanly do it.
Well that i know, but im worried about getting the most out of my amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well that i know, but im worried about getting the most out of my amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
The DD-1 is known to show clipping at 1% distortion. Getting the most out your amp is your opinion I suppose. The variable is how long it lasts.

DD-1s are know to not work cause people don't know how to use them properly. Set your gain with a scope and use a -15db track and see what happens. The manual is written bad when it explains what each track is for.

DD-1s are know to not work cause people don't know how to use them properly. Set your gain with a scope and use a -15db track and see what happens. The manual is written bad when it explains what each track is for.
Lol exactly. Then you have certain people on youtube setting gain with -9db or whatever tone saying it's not "completely distortion free". Uhhhh what about if you play something through it recorded at -3db or even 0db? Won't that be crazy clipped an thus distorted? Lol. The problem is that people refuse to educate themselves.

Problem is i cannot afford an o-scope //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

As a rule, changing to a larger box reduces power handling.

The DMM method is commonly recommended because it's easy and repeatable. It's not foolproof, but it's decent and it's better than setting gains by ear for someone who has no idea what it sounds like when their amp is clipping. The math has to be accurate. It relies on the assumption that your amplifier can actually produce the desired power without clipping, and that your speaker will handle that much power in its enclosure. This is probably the main weakness of the DMM method. It also depends on the level of the test tone used.

As a rule, changing to a larger box reduces power handling.
The DMM method is commonly recommended because it's easy and repeatable. It's not foolproof, but it's decent and it's better than setting gains by ear for someone who has no idea what it sounds like when their amp is clipping. The math has to be accurate. It relies on the assumption that your amplifier can actually produce the desired power without clipping, and that your speaker will handle that much power in its enclosure. This is probably the main weakness of the DMM method. It also depends on the level of the test tone used.
Would you think an Attitude 15" in 4.2 cubes do fine with 1500 watts? (recommended is 3.5 for it)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.