Dls Up6

Participant count
  • Participant list

elduderino
10+ year member

PDX
I took out the Alpine SPX-F13Ms in the Acura TSX and replaced them with DLS UP6 comps.

These have a 6.5" mid with a 2"voice coil and a neo-hybrid bagnet structure - so they fit where the Alpine SPX-F17M's hadn't a prayer of fitting.

They are installed with mating spacers that mimic the OEM speaker in sealing to the back of the door panel.

The tweeters, which hav a resonance of about 900 Hz and play WAYYYYY low, are in the OEM locations in the top of the dash. With tweeters x'd over around 4000 I would not recommend this location, and for metal domes I REALLY wouldn't, but these sound like little mids up there. They are silk domes with a slight protrusion so that they don't get submerged in the speaker hole, and I think that helps.

They are running 50W pc off of 1/2 of a DLS Classic 4-channel, and they are high-passed at about 60 Hz. There is a DLS MW110 Magnesium subwoofer playing like 70 and down in a small sealed fiberglass box.

The midbass immediacy is great - tight and clean, without the thin-dry sound of using very-low-qts mids in an infinite-baffle door. I think their qts is 0.41 or .44 so it's not too lean.

The vocals, even male vocals, are all up high and stay up high - no singers "hunting" between the dash and the bottom of the door as their voices hover around the xover point.

For the money I can't beat these speakers... got them for under $400.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

elduderino

10+ year member
elduderino
PDX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views