DLS Gothia 6.3

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rodge
10+ year member

Just wondering if anyone has heard these? Also if you've heard these how do they compare to the older model DLS Iridium 6.2s?

I purchased another set of the 6.2s but thanks to a colossal mix up on DLS America's part I'm getting a set of the Gothia 6.3s for the cost of the Iridium 6.2s. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Obviously they should sound better since it's a 3-way set up and the Gothia's are supposed to be the new and improved line up. I'm looking forward to getting these but just wanted to know how much of an improvement I should expect.

I plan on putting the mid-bass drivers in the factory door locations and the midrange/tweets in kick panels. These will be powered by a DLS Ultimate A5, so about 85W to each side. I'm going to be running them passive for now. I may get another 4 channel amp and run them active in the future.

I think I know why no one has responded to this. I didn't realize how new these speakers were. Apparently Penny from DLS America only received them last week. I may be one of the first people in the states to even get their hands on them. I received them yesterday and I must say just comparing the speakers they are built a lot nicer. Here are a few shots for comparisons sake.

New crossover Vs Old

Entire Crossover network

6.5" Mid Bass Driver

3" Dome Mid Range and 1" Silk Dome Tweeter

As you can see the mid bass driver is built like a tank. It looks more like a mini subwoofer than it does a mid bass driver. Even the tweeters feel different. I'd like to guestimate that the Gothia tweeter weighs nearly twice as much as the Iridium tweeter.

And here are a few side by side shots of the mid bass drivers next to each other.

I'll try to post up a review once they have been installed. Unfortunately it's going to be an apples to oranges type of review. For one this is a 3-way setup compared to a 2, plus the speaker locations will be changed. These are going to be installed in a set of kick pods, and I'm leaving the mid bass driver in the factory door location.

Drivers side is in and done. Looks like I'm going to have to hack my ebrake pedal up a bit. It just catches the midrange driver after you engage it. You can engage the pedal fine, but when you go to disengage it it gets caught on the edge of the kickpod and the edge of the midrange driver. Shouldn't be a problem a dremel tool can't fix!

Forgot to finish posting up on here. LOL

The install was finished about a month ago. Here's what the amprack and subs look like nestled in their final resting place.

A close up of the amp rack.

At first I was just impressed by these new speakers. Then after the first week of listening, about 15-20 hours, they started sounding better and better. I guess this is the first set of speakers that really did need to go through a break-in period as per the manufacturer's suggestion. The custom kick pods from QLogic have the sound stage/imaging almost dead on. Unless the music was recorded in a way where it quickly alternates between the L and R channels you can't tell where the speakers are at all. A few of my friends have been left speachless after listening. Most of their reactions are along the lines of "Holy ****, I didn't realize the speakers were on the floor!" Or, "It's obvious you have subs in here, but where!?!?!"

With the back seat in and in its upright position it looks completely factory!

This isn't a picture of my back seat from my truck, but it is one from the same exact model to give you guys an idea of how stealth this install is.

2011-toyota-tacoma-TX-double-cab-4x4-back-seats.jpg

My only gripes with these speakers is I wish I had more power to put to them. I only have 85w, they could definitely handle more, and I really really wish I had a cleaner source for my music. I currently use my HTC Incredible 2 connected via Bluetooth and listen to Slacker Radio. I haven't bought a CD in probably a decade as I have no need to. I can listen to whatever I want whenever I want with Slacker...and the best thing about it, I don't have to worry about losing my music or having it stolen!

how loud are they?
With 85w they're loud. But I think with a little more power they'd go above and beyond what I want. On a plus at 85w and cranked to the max there is no distortion, not even the faintest hint of it!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.