Distorted audio help

Participant count
  • Participant list

dilby

Hi all - first time post from a newbie, so apologies if this is on the wrong board.

I have a campervan with a very basic system - I'm aware it's not the best but because it's just an old camper I'm okay with that! Essentially it's made up of a Sendai cd789 unit (4 x 45W) and two front speakers that are quite old, and which I couldn't make out any tech specs on (no units at back, so just 2 channels).

My problem is as soon as I turn up the volume above around 25 (goes to 40) it becomes distorted - a terrible digital clipping kind of sound, and doesn't get much louder beyond around 25 anyway. I'm not trying to blast sound out, just so that I can hear it above the engine on the motorway really. At the moment it would only be loud enough and clean enough when idling (just).

To me it sounds like there's not enough power in the speakers or something, and to rule out that or a another issue with them I went to a shop and bought some cheap speakers - both 90w each - and fitted them. However the issue still remains. I've also traced and checked wires go to right places (pos-pos, neg-neg etc) and have even added new cables to the speakers to just make sure.

Is there an issue with the power or something? Do i need a second amplifier or does it sound like the head unit is blown?

Really would appreciate people's help on this as obviously i have no idea what I'm talking about and I went to two shops who seemed to know hardly any more, so I'm a bit stuck! Don't want to buy gear that I don't need to either.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.