Disappointment

phantom240
5,000+ posts

ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
I lent a buddy of mine one of my Alpine MRV-1507's to use until he gets another amp. So we hooked it up to a kicker comp 12 with a 4ohm svc config (at least we think so, gotta double check now). We hooked it up on a single channel, as I know the amp is powerful, but very little sound. Okay, so we bridge it. At 4 ohms bridged it should be putting out 900w rms. The sub laughed at my amp. Im wondering if his crappy wiring has to do with it? Hes got 4awg running to a fused distro block, and 8awg from there. Im thinking the 8awg (from distro and to ground) is severely limiting the output capabilities of my amp, and also putting it at risk of toasting itself trying to pull power from small wire. Any suggestions?

Iirc that amp has a regulated power supply so I would deff check that aswell as all the levels on the amp and head unit

Shouldnt be blown. Worked fine with is last amp (a boss chaos series!). It puts out decent bass, but nothing compared to what I expected. The lows blow a hard wang, but everything between 40-80hz is nice... which is odd for a ported box. The sub isnt moving much either. I dont know, I gotta work tomorrow. After that, Ill hook up a few subs I have laying around.

lp, 85hz. Man, my first one seemed to be 10x louder than my newer, mint looking one (good thing nobody bought it when I tried to sell it). gay. Ima pick up some rings from work and hook up a bigger power and ground wire from the distro block with some spare wire I got layin around.

If its a huge, obvious difference in output, like something is wrong with the sub, then the power cable is not the reason (even though you should upgrade it anyway). Check to make sure all setting on the amp, HU are normal, like gain, crossover, mute, etc.

Yep, I think that the puny wire is the culprit. The amp is clipping long before it should. When I ran it in my car, I was running 2awg to a 3 farad cap, and then 4awg to the amp. I had a similar problem the first time I hooked it up in my first car, with 8awg.

I know my old one was 'fixed' once upon a time. Had a resistor on the right channel board toast the entire area of the board. Looked harsh. idk. Ill bust it open today.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

phantom240

5,000+ posts
ALL YOUR INTERNETZ
phantom240
Southeast Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date