Disadvantages of a 5ch amp??

Whats the pros/cons of using a 5ch amp for a 3 way active setup? Over 3 separate amps. I know sub power is limited when running a 5ch. My setup now consist of a 2ch 500w amp on my mids, 2ch 400w on my tweets, and a 500w mono block on my sub. My HU is a deh80prs. I'm more into sq then spl.

If you're using full range amplifiers that can truly make that much power then you would have to cut it back to roughly 25-40%. Would you notice the lower power? Maybe.

Also very limited selection/quality in most cases,and space..You can place two-three.even four amps in different locations if space is an issue,as with one 5 ch amp,,most are large and take up space..price for power and quality would be another in my opinion.If I ran a 5 ch..I would like it to have an internal fan as well to run cooler also

I agree that they aren't made for high power systems and if the amp goes, nothing works.

Also, I would think they'd be harder to sell because the market for them isn't huge. I mainly see them in SQ builds or simple builds.

Yes, multiple amps are good if space is limited, like audiobaun said.

I can't really think of an advantage to using a 5 channel amp instead of multiple amps, honestly.

This is what I needed to hear. Space isn't really a issue, I was just curious what the general consensus was. I'm only running 1 12 but I still would like to have a good solid 700+ watts on tap for it. I'm currently running an old soundstream reference 500 on my mids and I'm having a hard time hearing anything that sounds as clean and full on them anyways.

I have a pretty clean Elemental Designs 9-5 sitting with a bass knob that would be a great choice. She isnt a small compact amp though

I recommend the massive audio nx5.

Because I've owned one plenty of power on tap sub ch is 800 and not to mention a small footprint.

3 AMPS

CONS

you need more space

you need more power and ground cables, wires

you need a distribution block

more equipment and cables mathematically means greater odds to make a mistake like a short or...

Likely slightly more power demand on your system (not a big deal IMO)

higher cost $$$ (most of the time)

PROS

more power (in some cases can means cleaner sound dependant on what speakers/sub you have)

Nice old school big belle.
If I could find one that didn't cost me my right arm. They have plenty of sub power

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

I have a pretty clean Elemental Designs 9-5 sitting with a bass knob that would be a great choice. She isnt a small compact amp though
Interesting!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.