Disadvantages of 0 awg Wire

AlwaysFollowed
10+ year member

04 Silverado
Hey guys, i just picked up a 1/0 awg wiring kit for my truck. Right now ill be running a single Premier PRS-D2000T with 2 10's from it but will most likely be adding another amp for my speakers in the future. It is 1/0 to distro blocks where it then goes to 4 awg to my amp. Is there any disadvantages to running thick wire such as this or is it the bigger the better? I tried a search but didn't come up with much. Thanks.

the "more resistance from bigger wire" issue has to do with the use of single-wire (solid core) wire in applications where high frequency currents are common (eg, in switchmode power supplies). In such cases, the current begins to flow near the surface of the wire, in which case it would be better to use multiple smaller wires.

(solid core wire has less resistance -- there is no air between strands)

the 0g wire in use in car audio systems is a twisted bundle of fine wires. It is flexible and good.

one issue is that, if you have smaller wire elsewhere, the user may choose the fuse size based on the 0g wire, when a fault on the 4g wire might not draw sufficient current to damage the main fuse.

Just make sure you have enough power going through. As I recall, if you run like 0 gauge for a 12v application.. results may be a little less than what your hoping for. For car audio, its fine if its a powerful setup.

"Just make sure you have enough power going through. As I recall, if you run like 0 gauge for a 12v application.. results may be a little less than what your hoping for. For car audio, its fine if its a powerful setup."

Could you explain your statement to me as to why it has to have enough power going through.

"Just make sure you have enough power going through. As I recall, if you run like 0 gauge for a 12v application.. results may be a little less than what your hoping for. For car audio, its fine if its a powerful setup."

Could you explain your statement to me as to why it has to have enough power going through.

Yeah lol??? Basic electronics: Wire size increase than the resistance goes down, Wire size decrease and the resistance goes up. "Just make sure you have enough power" what does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that you need the resistance from higher gauge wires or your current will be too high? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.