diregarding the cost, 12w7...

jesse6666
10+ year member

Disregarding the cost, is there anything better than a 12w7 when compared with another single 12 inch sub...Also, I was advised to use a 1000 watt Rockford amp but on the jl site, they suggest something more around 800. Anyone have extensive knowledge on this?

Thanks

there is nothing on the market that touches the JL for pure sound quality applications. Nice thing is, it gets plenty loud as well. Now, people will come out and say, but my Brahma, my D2, etc etc... dealers, and owners of all tehse companies have come out and said flat out that hteir product does not match the technology of the JL W7 woofer series. They just can't afford to make completely custom built parts and spend millions on Research and Development. Simply put, the JL W7 is, in my humble opinion, the finest subwoofer on the market, irregardless of price. Go for a larger amplifier (the 1000 watts amplifier will be perfectly fine). It is always a good idea to have some headroom for the driver.

Even if you wanted to spend 1000$ could you not find a sub with better SQ and SPL? I know there are better all out SPL subs, but nothing that maintains the SQ of W7?

Well, i think the eclipse titaniums are pretty close in terms of sq. Diamond TDX are also a good choice. A/D/S have great sq as well. But if you want a good blend of sq and spl, the w7 is a choice you cant go wrong with

The W7 has the best sound quality available in my opinion. It's also capable of getting quite loud, and taking some serious abuse. If you have the means, it's a nice sub to have.

well, I'm about 90 percent sure I'm going to get them. I really prefer tons of SQ and not AS loud. I mean, I only heard it in a store and its obviously not the same as being in a closed car. (I know everyone would love to have the sub just to have it, but is it worth it if I'm not as interested in the loudness?) Also, wonderbread, is a 1000 watt amp from rockford good?

big boxxed idmaxes imho sound alot better than any w7 set up i ever listened to ..large box meaning 2cft +. in terms of what i mean is with iasca material being played. to me the w7 just plays really low and to me semi boomy..i like flat.never heard the d2's but i heard a set of brahmas that were in a spl comp car (but a daily driver too) and the diff wasnt far off enough for me to say the w7 was really superior. now im not your average "listener" so i tweak and tweak i even tweaked a couple 10w7 and a 13.5w7 set up and i liked them but to say they sounded "real"? gimme a break..id use it in a hometheater though :p

well i will be putting it into a sealed box manufactured by JL Audio for the 12w7...Let's put it this way, I haven't had subs in this league before so I'm not an expert. All I know is that I want deep bass for techno (mostly).

well i will be putting it into a sealed box manufactured by JL Audio for the 12w7...Let's put it this way, I haven't had subs in this league before so I'm not an expert. All I know is that I want deep bass for techno (mostly).
welll since u said u dont want it to be that loud, and ur no Audiophile, while not save some money and go with a w6 or Elemental Design O. I have heard many people say that the W7 is a "diifferent" sound than otehr subs and many people dont like it, or they have to get used to it. If i were u id save my money.

well, two things...I don't mind spending the extra $ if it's going to be worth it for someone else to hear as well. I've done a ton of research lately and have found that the JL 12w7 was made to be an sq sub, which is what I want. On top of that I know it does perform well SPL, and I don't care if somethign can beat it because I don't need it that loud.

The other thing is that I am planning on putting an RF 1000bd amp to go with it. Is that a good match? Almost everyone has said so, but the JL site recommends using an amp more like 800 watts.

Also, I want a sealed box because I don't want to lose room. I hear that it is a tighter sound and better SQ - i want to get the ProWedge from JL Audio that is made specifically for it. After hearing all of this, does this sound like a good match for the bass I want?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jesse6666

10+ year member
jesse6666
Livingston, NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from